1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHERE WILL YOU SHOP NEXT?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Feb 12, 2008.

1. mpr123

mpr123 Member

Definitely not A J Purdy who have had my money for over 3 months now and I have nothing to show for it. Been trying to get a refund for over 6 weeks without any joy. Have had to go down the credit card protection route as a last resort so hopefully will get my money back soon.

2. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc Well-Known Member

I'll spend my money with Frank Foster at Photo Design Studio in Woolacombe. I've bought a fair bit from him over the last 3-4 years - top class & reasonable prices. I've also bought from MXV & Jonathan Harris. But Frank is very honest, sells at fair prices and is very knowledgable.

Charlie

3. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I bought a Crumpler bag from Photo Design Studio. Nice shop but very small. Still, spent a very pleasant 30 mins or so one blustery afternoon there a couple of years ago.

4. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Well, that's a great first post.

Sorry to hear of your problem but I've bought a few major items from AJPurdy without any problems whatsoever and I wouldn't hesitate to point others in their direction.

Perhaps you would like to give us the full history of your experience so that we can judge for ourselves.

BTW - Welcome to the forums, I think.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

OK I was wrong about that it was B&H but on Thursday 28th Feb and I bought two EN-EL4a batteries $110 each.

I don't plan any more camera purchases.

6. mpr123

mpr123 Member

OK - I ordered a lens late December. I was put on hold to check it was in stock which they said it was and that I would receive it within a few days. The money was charged to my credit card straight away. A week came and went - no lens. I called (the first of many phone calls) only to be told the lens was out of stock but it should be in next week. When I asked why I was told it was in stock when I ordered it they couldn't tell me.

Anyway another week came and went, another phone call came and went, no lens ever came.

On the 4th of Feb I cancelled the order as by that time they couldn't say when I would get my lens. I have still not had my money back. I have made numerous phone calls to them trying to get my money back and have been told a cheque will be send first class today (that was several weeks ago), the refund machine is broken so we can't credit your card but we will send a cheque, we are just waiting on a signature from a Director...but still nothing.

I reported the matter to my credit card company who also called them a couple of times yet still they wont refund me. I am having to get the money back from the card company and leave it up to them to make a claim against Purdy's.

Hence you can see why I will never ever shop with them again or recommend them to anyone. I may have been unlucky but this is just incredibly bad customer service.

7. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

If it is as you say, and I have no reason to doubt you, that is bad service. :(

8. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Crikey, what lens was it? :D Usually theyre really good.

9. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I agree. Sorry to hear that you've had poor service. I've had nothing but excellent service and I've bought several expensive items from them.

10. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

mpr123,

For my own peace of mind for any future dealings that I may have with AJP, I contacted them and pointed them to this thread, here is their response:

== Quote ==

Thanks for the tip off. We have no customer ever waiting more than 30 days for a refund and so it would be good to know who this is so we can look in to it further.

Best regards
    Steve Marley - Director
    A J Purdy & Co Ltd
    == Unquote ==

I think they will take your complaint serious if you cantact the above at SteveMarley@ajpurdy.co.uk - please come back and let us know how it is settled, it will help us all to know. Good Luck :)

11. mpr123

mpr123 Member

The simple fact is I cancelled my order on the 4th of February and it is now the 19th of March and I am still waiting for my refund. I have tried to speak to Steve Marley a couple of times but was told he was not available.

The matter has since been passed to my credit card company who are dealing with this on my behalf.

I will let you know the outcome.

12. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Well, you now have direct contact details for Mr. Marley, I suggest that you use them; sooner rather than later. He is awaiting you to contact him direct.

13. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Do you have anything to report or an outcome on this issue yet?

14. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

That sounds very unlike AJ Purdy, I have purchased 4 EOS1D bodies from them over the last few years, (original 1D and 1D mkIIN) and several lenses in the last 10 years ,most over the phone, and several in person and have never had a problem with them. Indeed I have recommended them to many of my professional colleagues and have never heard a bad word about them.

I had to wait a couple of weeks for the first EOS1D, as I had pre-ordered it, and was rewarded with one of the first in the UK.

15. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

mpr123,

Is there an outcome to your problems yet?

16. mpr123

mpr123 Member

My credit card company have refunded me. Nothing from Purdy's.

Now that I have my money back I will be asking Mr Marley for an explanation why the service from A J Purdy was so poor and why I had to get my refund from the credit card company and not AJP.

I'll let you know the response.

17. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I'm glad that you got it sorted personally.

I too would like to know the reasons behind this and I have sent an email to Steve Marley at AJP which points to your response and with the following text:

> It would be good to have your take on this matter too. AJP do have a good
    > reputation and it would be a shame if this was to tarnish it in any way.

I hope you don't mind, but it should hopefully bring a response to you and other buyers at AJP.

18. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

The following is the response I received from AJP this morning, verbatim:

== Quote ==
    The 'customer' did not respond to my post on this thread. Note you
    passed on my email address and again no email was received.

Do not have this persons details, what they say they purchased or
    anything else that would help resolve this.

They say in their post they have been waiting over 3 months and we had
    their money for 6 weeks then say they cancelled their order 4th February
    so it really does not all add up.

The only chargebacks (refunds made by credit card company rather than
    us) we have had this year are either a) Fraudulant transactions b)
    transactions which are not data matched which we are then supposed to
    security verify - and if we cannot verify them we are not supposed to
    refund them but allow a chargeback.
    == Unquote ==

Now, I don't see any post on here from AJP on this thread (Maybe a Mod can confirm this). I am starting to believe AJP on this one as I can't see them allowing their reputation to be tarnished in this way and I would ask MPR123 to either contact Mr. Marley direct or post the full details on here.

I can find nothing sinister with the response from AJP and I don't think that I would not consider using them again. MPR123, for your own integrity, let's have the full details. You have a total of 4 posts and they have all been on this thread, are you for real?

19. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

I have been very happy with Warehouseexpress.com,Ebay and Adorama.com . I have had no issues whatsoever and I always get excellent value for money.

20. bdr2

bdr2 Well-Known Member

I'd have to admit to having had problems with a couple of Warehouse Express orders lately (or more specifically the failure of CityLink to deliver either of my last two orders next day). It's such a shame as the staff at WE are always very helpful, but if I can't rely on their chosen courier to actually deliver.......