1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHERE WILL YOU SHOP NEXT?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Feb 12, 2008.

1. photo_paul

photo_paul Active Member

I went with an on-line store as that's where a bought my 5d. Actually it was on ebay from the Canon refurbishment store January last year. Paid under £1300 which was a good 15% lower than anywhere else at the time and included a years Canon UK warranty.
    Most of my other purchases are made on-line, as not only is the gear I want in stock and usually at a better price but, by buying on-line you actually enjoy better protection and consumer rights than you do using a local shop.

2. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

:D Could you please explain that statement further Paul? I was under the impression that you had the same rights; or probably better at a local shop, as you could have a face-to-face discussion if a problem arose.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Re: Were will you shop next?

I voted "In person at a camera shop", there is no option "Local Camera shop". Whether I buy in the UK or abroad will largely depend on where I am at the time and whether they have what I want in stock.

I have taken the initiative and turned the title down from CAPS to lower case.

4. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

Along with many others I'd like to have voted "in person at a camera shop" but the reality is on the internet! It would be nice to support the local retailer but the often huge price difference does matter.

Both camera shops here in Grantham have now closed so the only place we can buy cameras is Argos or travel to Nottingham where there are still Jessies, Jacobs and several smaller shops to choose from.

5. photo_paul

photo_paul Active Member

Not at all. If you buy an item from a shop on impulse and then decide it was a mistake or find your being made redundant the next day etc (rather than say the items are faulty) the shop doesn't have to take it back, offer a refund or credit note or indeed exchange it for something else. Although it might offer one of the above as a gesture of goodwill. If the goods where faulty you are still only entitled to a refund if the shop cannot replace the item with another similar item or repair it within a reasonable time.

If you purchase on-line the law is you can cancel the contract in the first seven days for any reason and the seller has to give you a refund, which is not dependent upon you even returning the goods within that time. Plus of course if you use your credit card you have even more protection as if the supplier refuses you can instruct your card supplier to withdraw the payment until the dispute is settled.

6. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I tried to go to two independent shops this very afternoon. Both had shut!

I was also in Jessops who said they didn't price match any more but then were prepared to offer me a similar price on a lens to that from WE when I asked nicely. Unfortunately, they only had a display product in stock and I preferred one out of a box and not one that had been handled carelessly by the many.

They won't get any more in for 4-6 weeks. I would have definitely preferred to buy from Jessops locally but don't want to wait, so it looks like WE again for me.

Wille

7. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

I saw a canon 100-400 in jessops for 999.99 I am thinking of buying that on BN PL and I get a lens for a year before I have to pay for it !! I am just trying to convince GF !!!

8. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I raised the subject of the EF 400mm f2.8 L, the conversation didn't last long. :(

9. ChrisBrookes

LOL !! well the grand mark is just about feasible !! ( for me anyway ) but beyond that I would need to be making money from photography to justify purchases ! Its such a bloody trade off between aperture focal length etc etc ! i still think about a 200mm prime f2.8 and a two times tele but I lose the flexibility of the 100-400, bloody minefield . I did show my GF the 16995 price tag on sigma 200-500 f2.8 and suggested the remortgage paid for it , that fell on deaf ears !!! bloody unreasonable so and so !!

10. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

That's the option I've gone for, I've been very impressed with the results with the x1.4 and I haven't tried the x2 yet, it arrived this afternoon.

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Neither would your back if you tried to carry it...

12. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

My current max is 350 with my 35-350L – but with my digi factor extends it by 1.3 to 45-455 – I have been looking at going longer and have considered all the options from 300-800 and the 130-300 f2.8 Siggy through to various fixed, I have played with a couple of nice SH units incl 500mm f4.5 – I keep coming back to the 300 f2.8 plus a brace of converters – my next problem is paying for it. I am saving from my various photo earnings and will get one, one day!!!

I saw the 200-500 when it was first announced but at the time there were not a massive amount of details – just looked at the update www.sigmauser.eu/content/view/185/63/ nice to see it closer to production, not quite sure about the green colour - but love the snappy little converter to go with it! But agree slightly out of the price range with an RRP of 1p less that £16k. Some great features must admit I have not seen a lens with a rear 72mm filter before, or one with its own Li-ion battery BP-21 to power the zoom!! Shame it did not come with its own trailer…

My 1D MkII I bought privately off eBay – which was an interesting prospect! Canon outlet can be very good, but you do get idiots who drive the price way up, which is what I happened when I looking for my MkII – it ended up with one girl winning on 4 cameras, all she did was ruin it for everyone else! I have bought a number of larger items from 7 Day Shop, several years ago they were a lot cheaper, they then went through a period when they stopped selling Canon, but recently they have restarted but they are definitely not as competitive as they once were. I use the Price Buster Site - www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ which can be good, especially when it can show you the current offers/discounts available. I also buy a lot from my local independent shop because they offer a great service, are very friendly and I get free tea and coffee, plus I can play with all the goodies!!! Incl lots of nice f2.8 bits - One day... :D

13. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Anywhere but Jessops

14. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Yes, but was that before or after you gave her the dozen red roses. Timing my friend, timing ;)

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Well I shopped and bought a D2Xs from Park Cameras in Heywards Heath. Well used but I will still get around 10 years at my current rate of exposures. So where will I next shop, B&H on Wednesday week probably for some EN-EL4a batteries.

16. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Schoolboy error....awh bugger :D

17. ChrisBrookes

I could not help myself today, I know Jessops can be very overpriced, but I bought myself a canon 100-400 on buy now pay later!! I am mightily impressed with the lens though, and its free for year !! It is 899.99 in the Norfolk camera centre, advertised in AP but generally it was about the 999.99 I paid for it in all the other adverts ! So I am a happy bunny, Now I need to finish the Kitchen by the end of march to keep my end of the bargain !!

18. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Nice ;)

19. Adesw

Adesw Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you spelt where wrong /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif;)

I will probably buy next online, cause I'm planning on getting some filters and you get much more choice online.

However when I upgrade my camera body, I'll do it in store so that I can actually touch the camera and have a play before comitting £1000+ to it.

20. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Almost certainly online, but then I'll have done the research and know what I want so there's no added benefit to going into a bricks and mortar store, unless there's little or no cost difference.

I did go into Jessops a few weeks back to get a replacement LCD protection screen for a D80. . . . only to be told they had -11 in the warehouse. :D