1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to next?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by tom dinning, Jul 28, 2017.

1. tom dinning

tom dinning In the Stop Bath

My Old MAn taught me how to take pictures.
    Things were simple back then. Learn to frame the picture the way you want, wait for the right time and press the button.
    Life seems more complicated these days. Everyone wants to be better.
    Better than what?
    A picture is a picture. How difficult can it be?
    My Old Man also said: never place your photo next to someone else's.
    I know exactly what he means by that.
    Listen to the voice in your head, not the one speaking over your shoulder, was another think he taught me.

Smart man. my Old man.

[​IMG]_DSF5990[/url] by Tom Dinning, on Flickr[/IMG] [​IMG]_DSF5990[/url] by Tom Dinning, on Flickr[/IMG] [​IMG]_DSF5990 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Tom,

"Better than what?"

Better than their own last picture? Or for that matter, better than their own best picture to date.

As the old saying has it, "What's your best picture?" -- "Dunno, I haven't taken it yet."

Cheers,

R.

3. tom dinning

Really, Roger?
    Better in what respect?
    Better relative to which aspect?
    Dare I say, better in who's opinion?
    Why is it necessary to compare?
    Surely each photo can stand alone and be what it; a representation of what we perceived at a point in time from a particular viewpoint.
    Why would the next shot be better?

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Do we really have to go through this whole what's better/not better and who decides saga again? This part of the forum is thick with past threads on variants of the subject...:(

RovingMike likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Depends. Depends on what the intent was behind the photograph, the ambitions of the photographer and who's looking at it.

And no Nigel, we don't *have* to go through it all again but we undoubtedly will as new people join the forum and have the same old questions as everyone else!!!!

6. tom dinning

Did I wake you Nigel?
    Roll over and go back to sleep. I'll wake you when I need you for some constructive comment.

7. Roger Hicks

Dear Tom,

If you can't figure out which of your pictures are better than some of your other pictures, there really is little prospect of their ever improving.

Cheers,

R.

8. Roger Hicks

Dear Tom,

Did you really think this was a helpful reply?

Cheers,

R.

9. tom dinning

I might read through the past years of posting but it's unlikely. Thanks Geren.
    My reflection doesn't necessarily relate to the aficionado's of the world but the billions of people out there who take pics for the joy of it.
    Being 'better' doesn't have any place in their enjoyment of what they do.
    I might even suggest that many people here are no more or less than the average bod taking pics for their own enjoyment, yet they suffer under the illusion they need to be better at what they do.
    To what end? Self-satisfaction? I doubt it if they are always considering the next picture will be better.
    And if it's not, what then?
    The picture is nothing more than an image on a flat surface. Why the fuss?
    Content I can understand. Interesting, informative, descriptive, explanatory, enlightening.
    Context I can understand. The birthday party, a battle, research, advertising.
    But just to be better makes no sense. There's no reference point.

10. tom dinning

I don't compare, Roger. I like them all. Is that weird? I don't care whether others like them. That's not why I take them.
    Each picture has a significance. Each significance is independent of the next.

11. tom dinning

It was for me, Roger.

12. Roger Hicks

Dear Tom,

Actually, there are lots of reference points. A picture can be "better" in one context (or frame of reference) and "worse" in another.

Much like your arguments, though at the moment they're tending towards "worse".

You may gain my personal record for the rapidity with which I put you on "ignore". Do you really believe (a) that anyone wants to put up with your aggressive demeanor and (b) that no-one has ever explored this topic before, usually with greater clarity of thought?

Cheers,

R.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I agree with that. You might want to tone down the rhetoric though. You'll be challenging me for top hate figure if you keep on like this. :D

14. Roger Hicks

Dear Tom,

But not, I suspect, to anyone else. To most, I suspect, it merely appeared rude and stupid.

Cheers,

R.

RogerMac likes this.
  15. tom dinning

Really?
    I ask a few questions, a mug tels me he doesn't want to know and I tell him to go back to what he was doing.
    And you think that's rhetoric?
    Andrew, you ain't heard nothing yet.

16. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Hardly. There are plenty here who are far less liked or respected than yourself.

As for "better", well, yes, as I said: you need a frame of reference. Are all pictures equally valid? Possibly. Are all equally good? Probably not. But answering the latter question does require a modicum of thought and analysis.

Cheers,

R.

17. tom dinning

So a bloke buts in and tells me I'm wasting his time because I asked a question or two and I'M the rude and stupid one.
    How does that work, Roger?
    You're looking a bit foolish yourself, Roger.
    Best you give me something to work with or you can leave the room as well.

18. tom dinning

You know, just forget it.
    I thought I might have found a serious conversation but it seems people are more concerned about me wasting their valuable time or offending their sensitive nature or that of others not yet named.
    I'll move on and leave you to it.

19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Count me out. Chewed this old rag too many times recently.

20. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan.:)

Roger Hicks likes this.