1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Jedi, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Manual/Mechanical w/ a 50mm lens ann maybe DOF preview

David,

Although you have already received this information (besides in the
    subject area), here it is again:

Get yourself a Manual and Mechanical Camera with a 50mm lens and if the
    camera has a DOF-preview switch/lever/button, consider that as a bonus.

Then go out and take a "basic camera operation" course at your local com-
    munity centre, college, high school (evenings) or, I believe, there is
    something in the UK called "Guilds something or other courses".

Then go out shoot lots of film.

Cheers,

Jack

not digital but film, so far, but digital is
    starting to seduce me.

2. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Is that North End as in the nothern part of Portsea Island (but not quite Stamshaw)?

My mother came from Gosport. I used to cycle to Denmead to drool at the motorbikes in Bob Gollner's window. He took me for a test ride on the back of a Kawasaki Z650 once. Hell, I was scared stiff! The 'bike was cranked way over round the fast corners and I'm sure the back wheel skipped a few inches sideways on one of them. There were no grabrails and I was desperately trying to hang on to the side of the seat as he accelerated hard.

It was only later that I discovered that he was an ex-mototcycle racer.

David

3. Happy Hens

Happy Hens Well-Known Member

David, Yes, Carolyn lived in Wymering Road, North End, Portsmouth.
    I lived in lodgings in Uplands Road, Denmead, it was last house on the left and it had fields and paddocks.

Billy

4. Jedi

Jedi Active Member

Erm... It's Heineken now, we've run out of Carlsburg /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

I Went down to Jessops and asked them to transfer the camera from Manchester, hopefuly it will be here by the end of next week.

Also you were right apout the OM10 being over priced, just saw one in a secondhand shop with lens for £60, but with the dodgy magnet flaw and no warranty it'd probably be a dodgy buy.

David

Note the special effort to spell correctyl.

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Well done that man, re. the spelling, you should see mine go to hell in a handbag when I've had a few! It's not that the little OM10 is a bad camera, in fact I own one and have never suffered any of the dreaded dodgy shutter magnets on it or indeed any of the previous ones I owned, but then again, maybe I was just lucky because it is a recognized problem. Feel free to buy an OM10, they're a great little camera really, just don't spend too much on one and then if it does go pear shaped, you can always sling it and buy another cause there's millions of them out there going cheap. (specially on Ebay).

BigWill

6. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

The original Nikkormats were mechanical, manual meter only until the EL and the EL-W (I think the W accepted a winder)

The best one to look for is the FT3 which I belive was also AI compatable. built like a brick out-house.

Burgy

Its not what you've got, its who you do it to. [/url]www.pressfotos.co.uk[/url]

7. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

The original Nikkormats were mechanical, manual meter only until the EL and the EL-W (I think the W accepted a winder)

The best one to look for is the FT3n which I belive was also AI compatable. built like a brick out-house.

Burgy

8. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

The original Nikkormats were mechanical, manual meter only until the EL and the EL-W (I think the W accepted a winder) an none accepted the AI (aperture indexing

The best one to look for is the FT3 which I belive was also AI compatable. built like a brick out-house.

Burgy

9. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

There's a strange echo round here...

David

10. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

here here here here here.......

BigWill

11. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Don't ewe start start start!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Geoff

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Wow,
    You must really like the FT3's......third time lucky??

Jack

not digital but film, so far, but digital is
    starting to seduce me.

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I agree Paul but the FT2 is outside Micks budget i.e. one only in this weeks A.P. at £199 body only. But as you say it is a great camera, however another good one the Nikkormat FS I see in the same shop at £395 V.G- condition. I reckon people have at last realised how good the little Nikkormat range is. Scanning through the A.P. I was amazed how few were advertised.

Brian.

14. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Well done Mick, hope it arrives soon, but remember you are under no obligation to buy. But if you do then you have a very good guarantee to protect your interest. Now your other question re film and processing etc. I would suggest that to start you go for a colour print film, ten rolls Kodak Gold for instance, extremely good and can be bought from 7 Day Shop for £20 inc P.P. Then any high street place can process it for you. ASDA supermarket provide an excellent service, £5.80 for processing and 36 6"x4" for their 1 hour service, less for 48 hours. Then join the A.P. Gallery where you will find help of a practical nature if you require it.

Thats the way I would go,

Brian.