1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did you buy your last 'proper' camera?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Feb 5, 2013.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Never knew they started in Guildford...

Bought a couple of lenses from that very shop a few years back - a 50mm Canon Mk11 and an old pre AI Nikkor 55mm macro - at a very cheap price.

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Yup, that's them. Looking at their website their phone number is Guildford 504040, meaning that it was previously 4040. My parents' number was 4257. The 50 got added at the front later when 4-digit phone numbers ran out! However due to a number of nuisance calls, 504257 was taken out of service and my parents given a new number. (From memory, I think a taxi company had a similar number and we used to get people phoning up, mis-dialing and expecting us to supply them with a taxi at short notice. Doing a quick gooogle, looks like my parents old number is now allocated to the Oxfam shop in the town centre!)

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

That explains it then. They were not the original London Camera Exchange. Benchista may have it wrong.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Er, I dont think so... From LCE's own website:

Think they might really know where they started, don't you?

5. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Go and wash your mouth out with soap - right now!!

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Read it again - it's quite clear that all 28 shops are under the same ownership.

Indeed. Again, read it again - it explains how each shop's manager has a huge amount of autonomy, which is a very interesting business model. I would agree that not transferring used stock is a PITA.

No, sorry. I should've asked him yesterday.

Quite possibly. My first encounter with them was in Salisbury 25-30 years ago, only later in Leamington, where they had a tiny shop packed to the rafters, later moving to the current site.

Nostalgia's not what it used to be. ;)

7. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

No, it's old hat these days

8. thornrider

That's right. 1990 was in Biblical times.:eek:

9. ianwaite

Certainly feels like it sometimes

10. thornrider

And the Beatles------------ that was Old Testament stuff

11. ianwaite

Didn't they do a gig for Moses when he came down from the mountain?

12. thornrider

Yes----- a mountain in Hamburg

13. ianwaite

Thats right just before Moses went and stayed in the Playboy mansion with Hugh.

14. 0lybacker

Definitive evidence comes from a 1962 AP I had in a book case: think there is some confusion here between The Camera Exchange and London Camera Exchange which were two different animals for some time. Advert on p.122 of 18 July 1962 AP lists four shops for the former in Guildford, Woking, Winchester & Staines.

Guildford is very definitely not in an expanded much Greater London and certainly wasn't back in 1962. It was, and still is, in Surrey.

15. 0lybacker

I would have thought so but there's many a slip between a journalist's notebook and a published interview. History is also known for its inaccuracies. We have evidence, just this week, of one of those being clarified and put to rest. ;) Or will be. Eventually. Somewhere. :eek:

What Nick may have been talking about was 'his' family business, which started in Guildford in the 50's and a separate London Camera Exchange (see below) which started in London which were then acquired by the The Camera Exchange at some point.

If I get time I will re-read the article again but on a speed read I didn't see that specific detail included in the article but seem to recall Nick went on to talk about how they set up some sole manufacturer outlets.

It is ALSO possible, in the way of these things, that Nick's family also bought LCE but kept it separate for a while as a distinct group which may well have had independents under its umbrella. (Seem to recall Southampton store may have been one of those at one point. Perhaps a Forum member can shed light?) It should also be remembered that as tax rules, allowances, etc., change over time, so acquisitions & disposals and group conglomeration/dispersal and so on can offer fiscal advantages to business owners.

There were also other 'Camera Exchanges' in existence: Marble Arch and City Sale & Exchange being two with the latter, I think, forming the basis of Ken McKinnon's City Camera Exchange. It is possible that these shops were acquired individually as and when by the Guildford business but kept independent within a group umbrella. Various organisations and businesses have had goes at that sort of thing over the years.

On the one hand, it's not vastly important to tie down the facts & be precise. On the other, especially for historians now and in the future, it is.

One other definite is certain, a flip through the ads in that AP tell a sad tale: lots of manufacturers, wholesalers and dealers have come and gone. :(

16. 0lybacker

I should, of course, get the Arch Pedant's 'Star of Approval' or perhaps 'Tyler'd That One Down Nicely' badge!:eek:

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

:)

I'll try to think of something...

18. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Some years ago. Not from a dealer but a manufacturer; Louis Gandolfi and Sons. I was on the waiting list for about a year before getting the invitation to specify. It was a 5 x 4, mahogany and brass, leather bellows with matching stand with brass winding gear. On collection Fred Gandolfi fitted my new Super Angulon into the lens panel. A proper camera.

19. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

needing a "proper photographer" to use it!

My experiences were at a lower level, with an MPP Microtechnical MK VI, for which I did buy a Super Angulon, 90 F/8.

20. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

I phoned up Cameraworld in Chelmsford to ensure they had the camera I wanted and check the price before I embarked on the 2 hour round trip. Got to the shop, tried the camera out, decided it was for me and gave them the money. Pleasant trip down the M11, the whole experience was OK. Better than waiting around for the courier then opening the box to find out it's something you didn't want.

Staff at Cameraworld were also pleasant (although they tried to flog me a Nikon F4 ;) I ended up purchasing a Canon 650D).