1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are the lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Zou, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So the a6500 has just been announced, but where are the E-mount APS-C lenses to use with it?

Off the top of my head, I reckon Sony has launched more APS-C bodies than it has lenses....

2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

It uses the same lenses as all the other E-mount cameras , both APS-C and Full frame .
    What is it that you feel that's missing from the line up ?

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Decent tele prime, decent tele zoom, decent tele macro, decent wide angle primes, cheaper/smaller 35mm equivalent prime, anything over 200mm designed for the format (the 70-300G is huge on APS-C bodies).

FE seems to be getting all the love right now but even though the lenses can be used they don't fit the ethos of the smaller cameras. It's like the Nikon DX lens failures in slow motion replay.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Zou, it is bizarre. Understandable if post-earthquake the camera body production is hit - but then all the more reason to concentrate on bringing out lenses. Is it that no-one (among the manufacturers) has real confidence in AP-S format, especially now that 'half-frame' has survived its crisis and appears to be here to stay?

The other things I find puzzling around lenses, especially for AP-S format, is the lack of wideangles, fixed focal lengths especially. They should be easier to design and cheaper to make for the smaller format. Then there's the lack of imagination. The new lenses that are announced tend to mimic existing focal lengths. I am the first to admit that photographers are conservative and like what they know and are used to using. But the only real innovation that I can think of is from Cosina for Voigtlander rangefinders and Panasonic - a bit - and Sigma - more so - for mF/T. Funny old world.

BTW, did you get your 105mm? Cheers, Oly

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Especially bizarre as a high end compact-sized camera (a6500) should have compelling lens choices without saying "just use the FE lenses which are far too big and heavy to balance on this wee body."

Didn't get the 105mm - our summer trip was unscheduled due to critical illness in the family (well on the mend now), didn't have a chance to go proper lens shopping. Found a 300mm f5 Super-Komura in the local junk shop. Will have to wait till the next time.

6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

They do seem to be leaving the wide angle primes to third party manufacturers .
    For a 35mm equivalent they seem to think you'll either shell out for the expensive 24mm or make do with the 20mm pancake lens .

Most of what's coming out seems to mirror mostly the A-mount line of lenses , no 200mm Macro etc . If they came a lens like the 55-300mm DT lens , by the time they add image stabilization , that would be a big lens too .
    If they left out I/S to save cost and keep it compact ( because they seem to be now moving to in body I/S ) then they would be slated because all previous APS-C bodies would have no I/S .

7. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

They need to rework the Zeiss 16-70 as a priority. It's not a cheap lens but gets mixed reviews. I have the FF equivalent from Canon, the 24-105 f4, which is not without its faults, but my copy is wonderfully sharp. It's far too heavy to sit with the a series bodies, but it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to create an equally good product for the smaller sensor. This zoom range covers probably 80% of what I shoot, it's a critically important product and really needs to shine. Get this right and the cameras will dominate.

I have two modern third party lenses, a Sigma 19mm f2.8 and a Rokinon 12mm f2. The Sigma is a bit of a half hearted effort, cheaply made and attractively priced. Optically it doesn't come close to the Rokinon (which is not without its issues, but it is sharp). Sigma can do better than this, if Sony can't manage a decent light weight walk around zoom, then isn't this an opportunity to fill the gap with one of its premium products?

Zou likes this.