1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your favourite lens …….. and WHY?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Done_rundleCams, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mick,

And what do you think 'that' shot might be? No, you can't "imagine how hard he would kick himself" because you don't think the way he does.

Cheers,

R.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi RM, That Paris Match photographer is not alone. Although HC-B's legendary adherence to a 50mm lens was not, in truth, total it was near 95% dependency! In David Hamilton's case it was for the simple fact that it was the only lens he owned. He wasn't French but worked (and lived, IIRC) there. Perhaps it is something in the water ... ? Cheers, Oly

3. 0lybacker

You have to ask? Oiy!

Manual focus.

Slow manual focus.

"instant Hollywood".

:D

Cheers, Oly

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Still don't get it. Not as though Roger is trying to shoot motorsport with it. ;)

Horses for courses. :)

5. 0lybacker

Hi Nick, Image quality not dependent on focusing speed. Gerrit now? ;)

Cheers, Oly

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Depends on the subject. Get it at all? ;)

Being actually able to get sharp focus when you want it is of course part of image quality - how can you pretend otherwise?

Of course sharp focus isn't always wanted, and for many subjects, speed of aquisition of focus is utterly unimportant. But when it is, it is, and then of course it's a matter of image quality. If you can't grasp this very simple concept, there's no hope for you. ;)

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I really don't think he was in the business of missing shots at all, because serendipity played no real role in what he was doing. He foresaw and planned shots and got what he (or the picture editor) wanted.

But I was criticised on an RPS assignment some while ago for getting too close to things and told by my mentor to put a 24mm prime on and leave it there. Must say I thought I'd exhausted my location, but I saw a completely different one when I went back.

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I've just realised that I haven't put in my 2 centavos :eek: On one hand, as previously mentioned, the "lens on my camera" :rolleyes: and my fave lens and
    why ….well, if I could be stuck with only lens, I'd probably choose, like Mr. Hicks, a 35mm focal length (in FF) or a 23mm in (aps-c size) and, at least, a f/2 :)

Although, I do remember for a period of time, my walkabout kit was reminiscent of Mike Paris Match photog, a MX w/ a SMC 85/1.8.

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  9. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

There's no doubt that's an attractive angle of view: wide enough to be interesting, narrow enough to be fast to frame and enough depth of field to zone focus, which is even faster than AF. :D

[​IMG]

10. idreamedof

idreamedof Active Member

All things considered it has to be my 45mm MD Rokkor. Tiny lens on a 35mm SLR, doesn't need a hood. General purpose angle of view on 35mm, nice crop on APSC, for details and sharp enough to exceed the resolution of the 20MP sensor on my Sony A3000.
    Wish I could say that it's my new Fujinon 18-55mm, but I'm on my third one and still not happy with it.
    Pic taken on Christmas day in Edinburgh with the Rokkor. https://flic.kr/p/qATSio

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Mine would be the 15-85mm from Canon, why? It lives on my camera 85% of the time.

12. chrismdale

chrismdale Active Member

I haven't had the opportunity to own or even try lots of lenses, out of what I have experienced so far it's my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 II.
    I leave it on the camera the majority of the time, and it works great from landscape to portraits, with a good aperture and really sharp optics.
    Plus it was a bargain, which always increase the amount of love I have for a piece of gear!

13. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

well here Im gonna get a lotta slack from the vertans.

my favourite lens is the lens that at the moment is fashionable to knock and diss, but in reality its so great I have even given it a name. I call it "The Sure Thing".

Its the cheapest Canon lens & comes free with any canon you buy, its the most versatile, the most practical lens & the quickest I have seen even though its not a USM,
    got it?
    yes its the 18-55 EFS 3.5 II with 58mm diameter, which means you get filters of all kind thrown at you for next to nothing.

Sadly because its a free lens(when you buy a camera) or cheap lens, the consumer society keeps dissing it to prod people into spending money on other lenses to keep the economy ticking over.

over & out

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Er, could we have that in English please rather than street?...

Do you mean the EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS MkII or the older non-IS version. The current IS MkII is considerably better than the original version that launched with the 300D 10 or more years ago. The original did have a tendency to be soft and the quality control wasn't the best - examples could vary from very good to awful - which is why the whole genre got a poor reputation.

Doesn't come with any Canon either, doesn't come with the any of the non APS models (1D series 1Ds series, 1Dx, 5D series or 6D) for obvious reasons, nor is it always supplied with the top end models where the 17-85 and more recently the 18-135 tend to be the kit lens of choice.

It's true the consumer society works on the principle of upgrading to something marketed as better but it can also have the effect of forcing a product to BE better as has been noted with the general improvement of 18-55 lens performance over the years.

15. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

I do mean the old non-IS one, yes came with the 550D I bought and then sold on ebay about 3 month later for a 600.,

when I say with all cameras of course I dont mean with 5000 quid cameras, I mean entry level DSLRs and entry level full formats.

A photographer friend of mine even got one thrown in when he bought a 1dx which came with no lens at all.

of course it is not to compare with a 17-85 or 18-85, but then dont forget it also costs 1/8 of the price. a lens doesnt have to be expensive to be good you know.
    Look at the EF 50mm 1:1.8 II non usm IS prime lense it costs 1/5 of the price of the same lense with IS and yet does 90% of the job.
    I lost 300 euros cos unfortunately I bought the IS USM II, and for what? Image stabilizer on a 50mm prime lense? well its brilliant if you suffer from parkinsons. other than that its like buying a fleece pullover in saudi arabia ;).

16. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

The 35mm Distagon.

17. miked

miked Well-Known Member

On the Nikon D800 a 24-70mm; on the Fuji XPro1 a 60mm 2.4R.

18. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Hey guys I forgot somink, I take back aaaaalllll I said, heres my new favourite lens:

its a Canain Zoom EF 24-105mm 1.4 IS USM
    Its chinese and holds coffees warm for upto 2 hours.;)

[​IMG]

19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Even the basic MkII was a definite step up from the original

Of course they did, would you charge someone for a lens that doesn't even fit the camera...;)

Even the 17-85 doesn't get that much good press though mine is OK as long as you stay clear of the wide apertures. The 15-85 is much better though.

The nifty fifty has long been the best IQ for the least money in any SLR system simply because it's a design that has long been bought to near perfection - though both Canon and Nikon's latest versions have been tweaked slightly and seem to be held as being better than the versions they replace.

I'm puzzled by your claims to have had a 50mm IS MkII though. Canon don't list any such animal - they offer a 1.2L USM, a 1.4 USM and 1.8 STM as well as the MkII but no IS version. There have been rumours but I suspect that the 1.4 or possibly the 1.2 are the more likely candidates for IS...

20. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Youre abdsolutely right, I stand corrected, I just had a look too, there is no IS written anywhere on it, just a 50mm f1.4 usm, I dont know why I thought that, which makes it worse, cos there is another 50mm from canon with the focusing ring on the outside that costs 120 euros instead of 330 euros. ok I bet its a bit lauder because of that but 200 euros cheaper?????? not sure what the actual model is but i found out too late.
    I havent used this lens more than 5 times, though it will now get used more often cos last week I got me a set of 3 macro extension tubes and im quite chuffed. heres why:

[​IMG]