1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your favourite lens …….. and WHY?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Done_rundleCams, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I got the idea for this after reading an 1994 issue of Shutterbug
    and one of the respondents was a young(er) Roger Hicks ;), who
    chose a Leica 35mm focal length lens with, I believe, an f/2 opening.

So whaddya like and why?

Cheers,

Jack

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Although I have not mastered it yet I don't regret buying the Canon 24 TSE. It is so much better than trying to use the 17 mm end of a 17-40 and half-a-frame. I use it on a 5D, I wait with interest to see a review of the new 50 MP canons with one.

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I refuse to practice this foul lensism and am proud to be an equal opportunities lens deployer! :D

Seriously, I get a great deal of pleasure from using as many different lenses as possible. Each provides different opportunities and challenges and I am as happy with a 50mm as a 14mm or a 500mm...

[​IMG]

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Whatever lens is on the camera.... Or more realistically unless it's a special purpose a general zoom say 18-135 or 70-300

5. Olderbutnotwiser

Olderbutnotwiser Well-Known Member

The last one I bought.... because it's new (to me) so is filling a gap that I had identified.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My Nikkor 200mm
    Because what comes out is what I saw.

7. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

The Fujinon Super EBC XF 18-135mm 1:3.5 - 5.6

Given my state of health, it allows me to do most of what I want to do using only one (not too heavy) lens. It is image stabilised and helps with my shakes. It is weather resistant and when mounted to the Fuji X-T1 relieves some of my "will it rain"? worries.

And it takes pretty good pictures . . . . . :D

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/lenses/fujifilm-xf-18-135mm-review-37541

8. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Yep.

Lenses, like horses, for courses.

Although they won't, of their own accord, get the photograph.

Noticing that next month's APOY topic is "The Wider Perspective", yesterday I put an 8mm fisheye on one body and a 14-24mm on another body and set out in search of inspiration. I drove 270 miles, (ending up possibly closer to Kate's home than my own) but the haze never lifted and I didn't take a single shot.

Lovely day out, though, and got lots of ideas for the next time.

Eric

9. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

24 - 70 CZ. Covers a good range and the quality isn't bad. If I could only have one lens this would be it although I do enjoy the wider angle of my 16 - 35 CZ.

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jack,

Nope. It was a 35/1.4 Summilux. I still have it. I'd sold the 35/2 Summicron by then, because I so seldom used it as compared with the Summilux. At f/5.6 they were pretty close; the Summicron was better and better up to f/2; and at f/1.4 there was no contest. As I rarely use apertures between wide open and f/5.6, the Summilux won. Nowadays I'm as likely to use a 50/1,5 C-Sonnar.

Both fast, compact, unobtrusive, light, easy to use.

But increasingly I ask, "Favourite lens for what?" For 8x10 inch portraiture, for example, it's a 21 inch uncoated f/7.7 Ross from maybe 90 years ago: "instant Hollywood".

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  11. brumtog

brumtog Member

The Leica fixed to my Lumix FZ200 cos it's the only one I've got. :eek:

12. Roger Hicks

ALWAYS the best lens!

Use it in health!

Cheers,

R.

13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

For me it's the Olympus ZD 50mm f2, just because its just does the biz. Sharp from corner to corner and with great DOF (that's because of the 4/3 format) it is usable wide open. I have more distinguished lenses (certainly more expensive) but if I want to copy documents or do any close up work it is the one I reach for. Critics say that it it is slow to focus but for what I use it for, and on an E5, that seems irrelevant. It just works without hastle

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The deeply flawed Fujian 35mm f1.7 CCTV lens is probably the one I'd miss the most. So much character...

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My favourite is the 8-15mm fisheye zoom - circular fisheye at one end, diagonal fisheye at the other on full frame, diagonal fisheye on APS-C in the middle.

Certainly not my most-used or most useful lens, but the one that always makes me smile when I it it.

Mind you, I've lots of other favourites for all sorts of cameras.

16. AlexDenny

AlexDenny Well-Known Member

For me, definitely the Tamron SP AF150-600m f5/6.3, probably because I only recently bought it (second hand) but mainly because it lets me take photos that would otherwise be completely impossible...

17. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Right! - let's get trite: it's the one in each eye. Images don't get any better.

18. Roger Hicks

Ah, well. Favourite as in "lens that gives me the most amazing effects" is my 90/2.2 Thambar at f/6.3 to f/9.

Cheers,

R.

19. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Indeed.

"The eyes have it"...

:D

[​IMG]

20. Olderbutnotwiser

Olderbutnotwiser Well-Known Member

Well the one in my left eye is ok but, sad to say, the one in my right eye has been letting the side down for years...