1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's stored first, the raw image or the jpeg sidecar file ?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by mediaman, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Pete,

This certainly seems extremely likely. I was (like several on here, I think) conflating which file is created first, and which is written first.

Cheers,

R.

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

On those occasions when I take JPEGs rather than raw I find that it takes less time to process and save a JPEG than to simply save a raw file. The reason for this I suspect is that the JPEG is only 8 bit rather than 12 or 14 bit and therefore a lot smaller. The write procedure is the rate limiting step as it is far slower than the actual data processing step(s) - the time taken to write a file to is far in excess of the time it takes to actually process the image....

3. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

The RaW is what the Jepeg is created from, and could be saved first, but only the manufacturer could tell you!!!

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Unless someone knows of a debugging tool which can trace the steps..... or copies the firmware off their camera and runs it through a decompiler to generate some hopefully readable source code.

The manufacturer probably already has is documented somewhere and some techie will know what he/she did but I doubt the customer facing support staff will be able to tell us.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ what Andrew said.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't really see why which is saved first matters - it's clear that the RAW files is created first, because that's what a RAW file actually is - a JPEG is always crreated from raw data, even on cameras that can't save RAW files.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Andrew Flannigan likes this.