1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's he thinking about....

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Nikonchris, May 16, 2018.

1. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Mono, cropped side to take out lamp post and down to remove land on the other side. The picture for me is the man and the wonky bin. The thing to the front of the bin is a little confusing, but I can live with it. Then I would wonder what he is looking at.

Nikonchris likes this.
  3. Nikonchris

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Does it for me!! :)
    Now let's see RM shoot me down. ;)

Nikonchris likes this.
  5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes - for me, the crop is a definite improvement. Less sharpness and lower contrast would be better still.

Nikonchris and Catriona like this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Unusually I prefer the colour (various crops of)

Nikonchris likes this.
  7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I'm a square man. :)

fff.jpg

Catriona, RovingMike and Nikonchris like this.
  8. EightBitTony

Craig20264 likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

I like that colour square crop though, works well.

Nikonchris likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

In fact, it's a great example of how something as simple as framing can really pull stuff out. Before the crop (i.e. before the change of framing) I didn't really notice the bin was something silver in front of a blue object, and the guy is something silver behind a blue object.

Once it's framed properly, that switch is much more evidence in my mind.

Nikonchris likes this.
  11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

No it does simplify nicely. But if you ask which engages more, I suspect the original mono.

frank1 and Nikonchris like this.
  12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd go for the original mono framing, in colour, with a slice off the left to reduce the building to a sliver and a slice off the right to take off the rise in the sand.

Nikonchris likes this.
  13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Do like the square. I'm becoming very square myself.

EddieBP and Craig20264 like this.
  14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Mono and square does it for me. Mono as it simplifies things down to the real elements without bright distractions, square tightens the composition and holds the context, whilst losing the unneeded and somewhat distracting lamppost.

Nikonchris likes this.
  15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'd go with the square, colour or mono. Simplifies the composition and gives context to the apparent direction of the subjects gaze. I really get a feeling of a hot sunny day in a far off place, almost like being there...:cool:

Nikonchris likes this.
  16. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

Square Colour for me...... I do like mono however the conversion doesn't improve anything IMO

Nikonchris likes this.
  17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's not the best mono conversion I've seen, I just visualised how it would look with an improved tonal range:).

Nikonchris likes this.
  18. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

I like the idea but IMHO the execution (and street furniture) make it a little too complicated. This is my take on it - edited from screen capture on Flickr so forgive the crudeness of the edit.

Nikonchris likes this.
  19. Nikonchris

Would appreciate some advice on improving tonal range on mono conversions in LR or PS......

20. Catriona

I'm no expert but bear in mind the original colour version will dictate to a large extent the tonal range on a conversion. A multi-coloured original will end up with a much bigger tonal range than, say, your mainly blues above.
    However, if you use PS an easy way is go to convert to black and white (enhance option if I remember correctly), you will see the various sliders against red, green, blue and contrast against any of the preset options shown. You can adjust these sliders to get the result your eye wants. It's very much a personal choice whether you want the dramatic or the subtle.
    Your image does have a couple of bright peaks and perhaps would have benefited from toning them down in the original image.
    A couple which satisfy my eye, from a quick edit in PSE10.
    28282330838_fe07e6f8a5_c k1.jpg 28282330838_fe07e6f8a5_c k2.jpg 28282330838_fe07e6f8a5_c k2a.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Nikonchris likes this.