1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What you listening to?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Slartibartfast, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Been on shuffle in my car playing loads of different stuff, however, how spooky is this. My phone started playing "Age of Consent" by New Order at exactly the time that I began to pass the house where Bernard Sumner, New Orders singer, lives. I love coincidences.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

This month's BBC Music Magazine* CD is pretty good - mainly Rachmaninov Preludes played by Sviatoslav Richter.

* a magazine I only tend to buy when the cover CD isn't orchestral (or opera), due to the fact that, as I age, I seem to prefer small combos and instrumental stuff. Dunno if it's due to a change in my hearing or a change in my taste. Anyone else have the same 'condition'?

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Lake Street Dive - Bad Self Portraits

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Some classic sax playing. Such a great chilled out tune for a Saturday evening. Grab a drink, lay back and close your eyes.

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

And if this doesn't move you...nowt will!

6. dream_police

Not long been back after my trip down south. Went to visit a friend in Woking yesterday and on leaving this morning drove through Horsell Common, so I just had to play Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds soundtrack which is playing right now.

Catriona and Craig20264 like this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Janis Joplin and Summertime.

8. Catriona

I nearly wore out the vinyl on that one! :)

dream_police likes this.
  9. Catriona

I was quite dangerous listening to things like that as I drove to and from Heathrow. Especially a late night drive home!

dream_police likes this.
  10. dream_police

I thought I had it on vinyl but I couldn't find it today in my collection so had to put the CD on instead. I wonder where it's got to?

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Destroyed by the Red Weed?

dream_police likes this.
  12. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

For some reason I've got two copies....

I'm going to have a bit of an unapologetic 'old fogey' moment here, but don't you feel sorry for the kids of today for whom music downloads are the norm?

I remember getting first vinyl copy of the War of the Worlds album and looking at the great big gatefold sleeve and the huge book of illustrations...it was magical! The same applied for, well, virtually anything with a cover designed by Roger Dean (so it's a good job I'm a Yes fan!). Try to produce the equivalent of the Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti cover for a digital download!

The nearest I got to a 'proper' album cover on a CD was Tool's 10,000 Days which was pretty ingenious but there's not a lot else that stands out.

Cheers, Jeff

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  13. dream_police

I couldn't agree more Jeff. I loved the whole thing about getting a record. Looking at the cover, if you were lucky also looking st the lyrics on the inner sleeve and certainly with a few artists looking at the scratched message on the smooth bit of vinyl near the label. I can look through my collection and just seeing the record brings back so many memories. That is without even listing to it. All that is lost with digital download and to a lesser extent with a CD

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Interesting that the last few posts have mentioned vinyl. I still have my vinyl collection, mainly 70s and 80s, some of which I also have on cds and and others I transferred to mp3. I dug out my Pioneer PL12D earlier in the year and enjoyed the sound. Tempted to buy a new turntable.

Did you stop using vinyl when cds etc were introduced, or did you never stop?

My local "record" store has Physically Graffiti on its wanted listed, not sure about War of the Worlds.

15. dream_police

I stopped using vinyl many years ago when I didn't have anywhere to store them in the house. I then bought a new turntable and got the odd few out of the loft and now I'm in a house thst will accommodate my vinyl on shelves. I still play more CD's though and digital from my phone in my car etc. I have bought vinyl recently some new, some 2nd hand and have just pre ordered a vinyl album thst is released next year. I already own the original on vinyl and a CD version but this one is remastered on coloured vinyl so want it more as a collectors piece. I know some of my records are relatively valuable.

16. dream_police

We have my sister and her husband staying with us from the US from tomorrow so my wife has had me cleaning the house. Great excuse to loudly blast some tunes.

Vinyl revival again today.

The Clash - Combat Rock
    The Specials - The Specials
    Bob Marley - Legend