1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would make compact system cameras more attractive to you?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

The census that some of us filled in this year questioned whether we felt British or European. Sovereignty and nationalism are words often associated with aggressive attitudes instead of peaceful pride in the land from which we sprung. Nationality, like gender, is a fact (though in neither case an unalterable one), and people from different nations and cultures are different, having different ideas and approaches to everyday issues. Many British people enjoy the idea of ‘splendid isolation’, and while our national identity is distinctive from that of our neighbours, the difference comes only in the whole rather than in the separate characteristics that make that single personality.

In our desire to be on time we are quite like the Germanic nations, and in art perhaps more like the Latins. We love to cook outside like the Australians, but drink like Vikings. When it comes to buying cameras, though, we are most like the people of East Asia. Our take-up of compact system cameras sets us pleasingly apart from the rest of Europe, and poles apart from the USA. These miniature systems make up over 30% of the Japanese interchangeable-lens camera market, and over 20% in the UK, while the Americans seem to be ignoring them completely.

Take part in our poll, What would make compact system cameras more attractive to you? by heading to the homepage.

Thanks all

Damien

[​IMG]

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Re: What would make compact system cameras more attractive to yo

Once again we're faced with a choice between "Nothing, they're god's gift" and "Nothing, they're satan's affliction" and nought in-between those extremes (I'm ignoring the others for obvious reasons) so I can't vote because there's no "Nothing, I'm just not interested because my existing camera does what I need and I have no requirement for size reduction".

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And my real issue is that I simply haven't found one I like - I like the idea (well, I was pushing for the whole thing for years before the first one appeared), I just don't like the excecutions so far.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Proper optical veiwfinders, maybe with a mirror assembly to make use of the taking lens....[​IMG]

I'm a bit with Tim in that the options don't really cover my feelings. Personally I'd rather have a compact camera that came with a 28-80/90/100 equivalents lens and at least a 4/rds size sensor - basically a digital version of the old 35mm or APS film compacts. OK it wouldn't be as small as an Ixus/Coolpix/Lumix type compact but I would prefer a straightforward carry anywhere camera with a built in zoom that can deliver better quality, particularly at high ISO, than the typical ultra small sensor compacts currently available.

5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

A good eye level viewfinder.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I find CSCs most attractive when they are round the neck of a pretty Japanese tourist.

They wouldn't have to make the box too much bigger to fit one in:p

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Sounds alot like the Olympus E-5 to me. :D

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Certainly not like the E5 that is reflex view finder.
    what is needed is a direct vision viewfinder like the Leica optical or fuji hybrid.

I did not answer the poll as none of the options covered this point, and it is the only thing preventing me moving to a compact system camera.

The other things that I find interesting for the future.... are
    wide aperture lenses
    minimum of an aps sized sensor
    High Iso speeds with out noise
    Fast focus.
    wide dynamic range 13+EV

9. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Yes, that's it. There really isn't an excuse for having no, or at best a compromised, optical finder; perhaps a good brightline optical finder of the type that Leica have had for decades would be sufficient for the sort of work that CSCs are designed to do ... but they aren't and never will be a complete replacement for the reflex design.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Personally, I don't see the slightest need for an optical viewfinder with this type of camera - it's just unnecessary extra cost and size.

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Except that it's quite impossible to support a camera firmly whilst holding the thing at arm's length to use the preview screen - and even that is better than any EVF that I've ever seen.

If you need to carry and use a tripod & a black cloth with your CSC, you might be better off with a 120 year old half plate Thornton Pickard ;)

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Then don't use it at arm's length - it's perfectly possible to hold one pretty steady a lot closer to your face in the same way I use my S90. I'm certainly not advocating a ridiculous EVF.

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Have you tried them? I'd have been dissapointed with the Fuji one at half the price....it was either dark and fuzzy(optical) or washed out and fuzzy(EVF) and far preferred using it with the liveview screen. If they wanted the digital viewfinder so you could focus and frame macro it was a waste of time from what I've seen (from playing with one indoors).

Canon's attempts on the G series is just as unpleasant.

Not that I'm against optical finders....just if they are going to do it, do it well instead of badly. Otherwise just simulate the effect of an optical finder by looking through a toilet role tube with with cling film over the end:rolleyes:;)

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Elbows in?

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yup, left hand supporting the lens, right hand holding the camera. I grant that it's not quite as steady as holding it to your head - as long as your head is steady - but it's a million times better than looking through a murky finder - and fitting a non-murky one would be expensive.

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Speaking as the proud posessor of a 125 year old half plate camera I can assure you that the CSC is much easier to use

17. TimF

Perhaps what is needed is the sort of variable viewfinder which large format photographers could use to preview various focal lengths; I have an MPP one which runs from 90mm through 360mm (approx. 28mm to circa 110mm in 35mm equivalence) which could be fitted on the hot shoe. It'd hardly be rocket science to create such, now would it? ;)

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've always used a Russian Turret finder or a Vidom.

19. TimF

I've got a Russian turret buried somewhere, and if memory serves both it and the VIDOM have specific focal lengths, which is fine. The MPP is a continuously variable finder which might be more useful for in-between zoom positions (certainly for the braver souls!)

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The Vidom has focal lengths marked, but it's continuous. And laterally reversed, whcih is less good. :D