1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What size photo print do I need for a 300+400 photo mount and frame?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Louise, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I am hopeless at figures and numbers, have tried Googling but I'm getting more confused.com

Do I need an A4? if so what is that in centimeteres? Thanks.

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

300 by 400mm is roughly A3 (297 by 420mm) Many people would mount an A4 print in that sized frame but it would take a slightly larger nonstandard size. A lot will depend on whether you are mounting the print flush (that is on top of a flat board) or whether are you using a cut-out of some sort. We really need more information

A4 is 210 by 217 millimeters If you really need sizes in centimeters divide by 10

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  3. RogerMac

Oops sorry A4 is 210 by 297mm NOT as stated above

Geren likes this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

That's a funny size!

A4 is 210mm x 297mm (21cm x 29.7cm)
    A3 is 297mm x 420mm (29.7cm x 42cm)
    A2 is 420mm x 594mm (42cm x 59.4cm)

This means that the only 'A' size that would be covered on all edges by the mount (if the sizes you mentioned are in fact the size of the 'window' made by the mount) woudl be A2, but you would have to crop the image by quite a lot on the longer side.

Can you tell us what it is that measures 300 x 400? Is that the outer edges of the frame or the inner edges of the mount?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Geren beat me to it.
    The size you want for the picture is the size of the "hole" in the mount. Then add a little extra for overlap. The picture will be held in place between the mount and the backing board so it needs to be a bit bigger than the hole so it can be gripped at the edges. If you do not want to lose too much of the picture behind the mount then print with a small border so the print is held by the border not the image.

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

My guess is that the outer dimensions of the mount are 300x400mm (that's the competition mount size in our club). This means the print size will be roughly A4 or smaller (if the aperture in the mount can be cut accordingly)

Louise likes this.
  7. RogerMac

My mount supplier offers 300 by 400 mounts with three standard sizes of cut out. The two that are likely to interest the OP are A4 and 13 by 9 inches (330 by 230mm) the latter is a bit larger than A4 (thus giving a competitive advantage) but requires a non standard print size, probably A3 cut down, and not everyone has those facilities. The easy alternative is to mount the print flush on a single piece of board without any perforation and then any print size can be used - this approach is probably necessary if one likes square or panoramic prints. If you do use flush mounting it is best to use double sided sellotape and a lot of care.

8. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

It's the outer size, I might use a 16x12 print size would that work in a 300+ 400 frame?

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

16" x 12" = 406.4 x 304.8 mm so it is bigger (not a lot) than your frame.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It all really depends on what kind of mount you want in the frame. The outside measurement of the frame doesn't really matter, other than your print needs to be no bigger than that or you'll have to trim off edges. The measurement you need to know is the size of the 'window' or 'hole' in the mount. If you are not using a mount then you need to know the sizes of the inside edges of the frame. In either case, your print needs to be just a bit bigger than these so that either the frame or the mount hides the edges of the paper.

11. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

is 18+12, bigger then 16+12?

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes. It is the same length on one side, (the side that is 12 inches), but it is longer on the other side by 2 inches.

Louise likes this.