1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What shutter speed to film at?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by HansTTP, Apr 15, 2017.

1. HansTTP

HansTTP New Member

Hi guys, got a query I'm stuck on atm, might be really easy but I'm new to filming so I have no idea what's going wrong.

Tried to film some stuff on my sony a6000 this week and when I watched the footage afterward; it looked really sped up, almost in fast-forward. I figured out that it was the shutter speed which was the issue, it was on 1/125. So I put it down to 1/40 but that filmed way too slowly, almost in slow-motion. So my question/query to you all is, what shutter speed should I film at so my footage looks normal please? ( I have a adobe premiere pro so I could probably fix the speed in that, but I'd rather be able to film normally so I upload the footage fine, if that makes sense)

Anyway guys any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have no idea about using video but the appearence of movement will be normal only if the frames per second used to record and the frames per second used to play back are the same.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

What video format and video frame rate are you choosing (forget shutter speed for now).

4. Charlotte Moon

Charlotte Moon Active Member

If you are still looking for answer to this.
    When I film I shoot in 25 fps (frames per second) This setting will be in Video setting on your camera, this is like a cinematic look.
    If shooting at 25 fps you need to double your shutter speed so shoot in 1/50
    Set aperture accordingly, on my camera the ISO wont go any lower than 200.

If you are wanting slow motion in video setting shoot at 50fps or 60fps depending on what your camera will do then double your shutter speed again so either 1/100 or 1/125 nearest you can get normally.
    Hope this helps
    Charlotte