1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What photo apps do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Richard Sibley, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Been trying VSCOCam on Android. Quite handy alongside Snapseed (each has their uses/strengths) but annoyingly on my Xperia the hardware shutter button triggers the native camera app. Still worth having though.

2. aahimenaah

aahimenaah Active Member

I use Tadaa. It seems to be more of a photographer's photography app than some others (i.e. not so dominated by teenage selfies or pictures of a bearded man's packed lunch), although I admit to never having used Instagram and not really getting on with Flickr.

I started out using Tadaa as a fun tool to enjoy applying filter effects to my smartphone photos, but am now branching out into the ego pleasing pursuit of getting my photos to 'trend' which is done by a combination of networking, rating other people's photos (who then hopefully return the favour) and entering challenges and competitions.

Judging by the standards of some of the pictures, photographers are also copying their high quality SLR work onto their phones and using Tadaa as a tool to get it out there and rated by fellow hobbyists.

Worth a go if you fancy trying something different and I'm happy to 'friend' you on there if you need a starter for ten (I go by the same name on Tadaa). I'm also told that Tadaa is free of the 'rights grab' issue that has plagued Instagram lately.

3. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

None - I do not have a tablet or smart phone.

4. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

Being a newbie to "smart" phones(I inherited my wife's iPhone 4S) I'm looking for ease of use mostly.

As a companion to my DSLR shooting I use Light Meter.
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/pocket-light-meter/id381698089?mt=8

I also wanted the need to do less button fumbling when I want to shoot video so I found SpyX:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spyx-3-in-1-black-screen-voice/id857582861?mt=8
    I don't care about the "spy" aspects of the app....but it can be set up to record video, audio or take a photo by just starting the app/pressing the app button.

Both are FREE.

5. SammieP

SammieP Member

I am guilty of using Instagram as well:)

6. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

I use Picsay for basic editing, and Picsart for more sophisticated stuff. Its like Photoshop on a phone. Cracking software. Even uses layers and a clone tool!
    I also use Instagram. I just wish it didnt insist on a square format for every photo!

7. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Probably far too many. My favourites are Camera 360 and MIX which is pretty new and by the same folks is quite fun - this is on the Xperia Z2.

[​IMG]
    http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/MartyPG13/media/CameraApps.jpg.html

Rando was fun you took a photo and it was randomly sent to someone and you received a random photo in return, however, the servers were turned off a few months back so I really need to uninstall that.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  8. Larry Shone

One app that I would like but is unavailable to Android yet is PhotoSynth. Its an app designed for creating joiner photos a la David Hockney. We studied this at college and I made a few of my own (took hours!)
    But its an apple thing.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've had to stop using Snapseed as it bricked my device twice - I had to wait for the battery to run down before being able to do anything on it. :(

Now using Pixlr Express, mainly for resizing images for web/email sharing.

10. Larry Shone

My photo apps so far

[​IMG]

11. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

Well mostly I use Instagram, but I've snap seed, flickr, 500px, VSCO cam and dropbox. VSCO is complicated, you can produce things in a better way than instagram though.

12. spuddie

spuddie Member

Snapseed - found best for photo tweeking
    Color Effects - great for quick selective colour edits or recolouring jobs like this:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/spudphotography/17027063496/
    EZP Watermark - adding watermarks to photos
    Photo Transfer App - great for transferring photos between devices and dropbox

13. troubleonline

troubleonline Member

My absolutely favourite photo app (not just camera app but of all apps) is Hipstamatic. I use it almost every day to take candid snaps of my cats or dinner to portraits and travel photos around the world. Have also had a lot printed in 6x6 for display at home - pegged on a string of copper wire.

You buy lots of different lens and films for different looks. I am finding the recently upgraded version takes a bit getting used to but the classic camera part which is how the original app worked has the joy whereby you don't quite know what your photo will look like until after it you have taken it and the app has 'developed' it. (Upgraded app means you can see and modify existing images).

http://hipstamatic.com/camera/

Their Cinematic video app is quite cool too for short quirky video clips.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Photogene4. Good for editing on an iPad. Also works with raw files.

15. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

16. flowerandsun

flowerandsun New Member

I really like picsart, because of adding frames, stickers and adjusting the colour.

17. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

I reconsidered the apps I have and I am using Samsung's software if needed, besides instagram. Most of the software is a load for my device and anyhow not desperately needed. I rather working with laptops than editing on my phone. I have got drop box to share high res photographs and that's it.

18. amy carter

amy carter New Member

I like line camera and photolayers
    they are on the more cutesy site

19. Mark Adams

Mark Adams Well-Known Member

Since owning a Huawei P9 with its Leica lenses and pretty amazing editing tools my cannon of programme has dropped to just Snapseed for touching up. Never been happier with my images.

Mark.