1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What photo apps do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Richard Sibley, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

[​IMG]

I'll kick this off

Snapseed - Editing. Particularly like the local contrast and new HDR Landscape features

The Photographers Ephemeris - I use this regularly when taking landscapes. Great for working out where best to be for sunrise/sunset

Instagram - Needs no explanation

645 Pro - some excellent 'manual' camera features, plus the option to save TIFF files and very low compression JPEG images

Lightning Cam - yet to work successfully, but it takes a few images every second and look for a bright streak in the sky before dumping the image one at a time. Basically it videos and drops any still frames in which it doesn't detect lightning. If I ever find myself in a thunderstorm i intend to make full use of this app!

Photoshop Touch - Get this app! really good cut-down version of photoshop that produces excellent images

KitCam - sadly now discontinued after Yahoo! purchased the developer. Has loads and loads of different features, including Timelpase photography and some 'film' style effects

Camera360 - bit like Kit Cam. Some nice effects. The Android version also works with the recent Sony QX cameras.

Lapse It - I use this for producing timelapse videos/stills. All teh features you need.

2. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

I'm pretty 'standard' for taking pics and viewing them - I use the default Android camera and Google Photo apps. The 'edit' features in Android do most of what I want/need on my phone (Crop, exposure, tint, grads etc)

I use Instagram too, and sometimes the Flickr app (though mostly I use the Flickr website from my mobile.

I really like The Photographer's Ephemeris - this lets you plan shoots based on the sun rise/set and position, and includes the moon too. Very, very handy for landscape shooting. I also use Lunar Phase to tell me when there's a full moon.

Finally, I use Helicon remote for tethered shooting. Not used this much, but for Macro work, the larger 'live view' plus focus control is really useful. It's expensive to unlock 'raw' images though, so I'm sticking to jpg until I've compared some of the competition :)

3. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

One other thing - I discovered recently that, whilst my camera doesn't have GPS, I can sync a GPS track using Darktable (my preferred image editor). I use Google Tracks to give me a suitable GPS file for import into Darktable, and then Darktable can geotag my images :)

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

By far the most useful app is EOS Remote, which allows me to control my camera. I've also used DSLR Controller for tethered shooting.
    Eye-Fi is handy when shooting with my EOS M.
    TPE is great, and Photography Assistant is similar.
    Perfectly Clear is outstanding for getting something respectable from the phone's camera. I also use Photoshop Touch on a tablet, and Photoshop Express on the phone.
    Postcards (think it's now called something else) is one of my faves - you can take a shot and have it printed as a postcard with your message on the back, and posted - all for 99p! Brilliant!
    Snapseed's not bad.

Other apps I use that have some relevence are Dropbox, OS Atlas, Weatherbug, English Heritage and National Trust apps, and last but most certainly not least, the Good Beer Guide. ;)

5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

It all sounds very clever. I'll have to look into having a mobile telephone.

6. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I can never get these apps to work

[​IMG]

7. Callum_McInerney-Riley

Callum_McInerney-Riley Technical Writer

I use many of the same apps as Richard.

PS Touch is a favorite of mine. It allows much the same editing as Photoshop directly from a smartphone/tablet.

TriggerTrap - I LOVE this app. Explanation for it is in this video. http://vimeo.com/73898960 - In short, it allows the camera and phone to work together to create amazing timelapses, HDR shots or even just act a cable release.

Photogrid - This offers a simple solution to getting multiple shots into one image.

Pixlr Express - Great for editing. It has textures and light leaks which users can overlay on their images.

Dropbox. I upload most of my shots to dropbox so I can share them across my social media platforms as well as sending folders to clients.

8. patmacinnes

patmacinnes New Member

For when I'm out in the field and need to update my company's three Facebook pages or when I need our sponsored anglers to send me images, Dropbox is brilliant.

Instagram is probably my most-used app because it plays a big part in the social networking programme we run at work, showing our products in use, showing behind-the-scenes images, and generally spreading teaser images of new product. Plus, it integrates very nicely with Facebook and Twitter. Plus, people seem to really like that 'look' you get with the filters/effects and that can mean the post gets a lot more exposure.

I've not gone mad with apps over the past two years because my HTC has never been the most reliable phone, but now I'm back on iPhone I think I'll definitely be exploring more apps.

Oh yeah - I forgot that my phone also comes in very, very useful for light painting, something I do a lot of when it comes to product photography…. in that respect, I find a mobile invaluable….

[​IMG]
    Binoculars by Pat MacInnes, on Flickr

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Just FlickR for me. I don't use the camera on my phone much so don't need most of the apps. I might use the Photographers Ephemris but can't be arsed paying for it so just use ot on the laptop when I can remember.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Snapseed and Flickr. I don't use my phone's camera much but Snapseed can make most efforts worthwhile. I tend to use the Flickr app more for checking on activity than for uploading/browsing.

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Pixlr, Flickr and today I used my Amazon Cloud app trying to plot a rather large piece of land...took a photo on the phone uploaded it to the cloud and opened it on my second screen...perfect...well almost still took me far too long!!

12. RichardChapman

RichardChapman New Member

In no order just the order they appear -
    GoPro app - Pretty obvious this one, handy for using as the view finder although the 5 second delay is a bit tedious. apparently you can also use it for playing back footage but you need to update the camera software which I havn't got round to doing.

Instasize - Pretty simple little app to allow you to post uncropped images on instagram. You can also do the little collages etc but not really used that side of things.

iLights - Ok not really a photo app but have used it for a bit of lighting a couple of times when shooting.

Drop Box - Know that this has been mentioned before but really useful for transferring files and makes emailing images a LOT quicker which has saved me a lot of hassle!

13. tllp

tllp New Member

Snapseed for Instagram - they play really well together.
    SunFollower app for sunrise/sunset calculation. I find it much easier to use than TPE. TPE is for the moon.
    Dropbox is also really useful.
    Google Maps.

14. Instagram, purely because its the only one i can get on my phone (it has a naff memory to say the least)

15. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I must be getting old - I have only just noticed this forum section

if i'm grabbing a snap of the whiteboard in a meeting I just use the camera's in built phone app.

But i also use instagram a lot.

At the other end of the scale I have an app called light Meter, which is..... you guessed it, a light meter. Very handy when using my Bronica.

16. broadstairs

broadstairs Active Member

Although I do have a phone with a half decent camera (Sony Xperia) I dont use any apps to manipulate my photos on the phone. I only ever download to a PC and manipulate if needed on that. I dont ever upload photos to any social media, in fact I dont really use social media at all as in my experience there are too many folks on those systems who believe that once a photo appears in there it is fair game to use and copy with impunity, I have had to go after people on Facebook and report them for misuse of my photos and get FB to remove them when they refuse.

Stuart

17. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

The process for me goes something like this: Scanned negatives on desktop PC in XP with Vuescan then uploaded to cloud using Ubuntu One. Then downloaded using Ubuntu One app to Vegacomb or my mobile Android Phone. Then edited in Aviary app. Uploaded again to flickr and then if I want to post images on this forum download again to another PC typically running the Puppy Linux distro Carolina and resized for web in Gimp to then uploaded again to flickr. Then post url on this or other forum to share photos.

To simplify the process I need an app that can resize and save for web on my tablet or phone. Also an app that can stitch photos stored on the SD card which is something like that in the Unix Fotoxx editor.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The Gimp is now available on Android. It is only recommended for 10" tablets with a stylus or mouse support, but it's there.

19. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

Needs alot of space. 650mb mentioned? Interesting idea mind :)

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, on both counts!