1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What on Earth...?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Fishboy, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

What on Earth is this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...m-camera-by-yashica?ref=checkout_rewards_page

Yashica are raising money for their Y35 'DigiFilm' camera.

As far as I can work out it's a digital camera (it says that images are saved to an SD card) with a 14mp sensor. The 'DigiFilm' to which they refer seems to be a plug-in module with a specific film emulation, a black and white or colour setting and an ISO setting. I'm guessing that shooting in .raw isn't an option...oh...and I'm wondering what the wind-on lever's for!

Go on then - what does everyone think of this one?

Cheers, Jeff

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

weird - you can do all of those effects with a minimal bit of effort. I can't really see people going for one-time use limited-exposure "films" especially if it is 12 on for the 6x6. Presumably you will need a custom reader (they are missing a trick if not).

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Get the feeling they were wondering what to do with all the old rangefinder machine tools and came up with this. Are the "films" single use? Bit daft if they are. Bit daft, full stop.

S

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

So the shorthand is that, it is a electronic simulation of a film photography experience?

You have all the restriction of shooting film but the final stage is electronic processing.

Why?

The beauty of shooting film is in the physical production of a medium.

Let say you shoot slide it has created that physical piece of art from the actual light touching the film. It is totally unique.

By all means you could create a camera that feels like a film camera and has no review system etc. But you might as well use memory cards. You could encode the files in such a way that they can only be processed by special lab or labs with the authorised software tools.

So even if you was to plug the memory card into a computer you still cannot see the images until you sent to lab.

But I just don't see the point of simulating film, just shoot film LOL

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

"It features a glass lens for super sharp photos"........Really :rolleyes:

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Yeah so much better than those wood lenses which struggled to give sharp bright images :p LOL

Does anyone remember the Silicon Film idea?

Then there was the RE-35

Now there is a new one PSEUDO FILM. LOL

The dream has always been to be able to take your old 35mm film camera and drop in a gadget that make it digital. :)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Grossly inferior to SOLID BRASS. Glass is nasty, fragile, complicated stuff.

Yes, "digital film" has been floated several times.

One day it will without doubt be possible.

The big question is whether anyone will bother. I hope they will, but I fear not.

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.