1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between a lottery and a photo competition with an entrance fee?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Chester AP, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Catriona

Re. the current APOY.
    It's also 'lost' to me too.
    If all AP readers boycotted the competition for a while perhaps the management might see sense.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

If they even noticed. I was quite surprised at the number of people on this forum who don't put their money where their (often very vocal) mouths are, and don't support the magazine but just come on the forum. Where do they THINK the money comes from? We can't all afford to write for nothing, out of the kindness of our hearts.

Maybe "the management" (at least from Garry Coward Williams downwards) have seen sense already. As we are part of Time Inc., I doubt that our colonial masters pay much attention to us unless Nigel or Garry can get their attention.

Cheers,

R.

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

That would be something akin to removing a pebble off Felixstowe beach and expecting someone to miss it.

Roger Hicks and EightBitTony like this.
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I can only apologise for searching the web, finding a website, seeing some interesting discussion, signing up and taking part. I guess I should have immediately gone out and started buying the magazine as well.

Geren likes this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Dear Tony,

Yes, you should.

Cheers,

R.

6. EightBitTony

Why?

7. Roger Hicks

Because we all owe one another a living.

If we all expect everything for free at all times, what sort of people are we? Well, apart from stupid? Greedy, maybe.

What do you do for a living? Or, if you're retired, what did you do for a living? Do you/did you do it for free?

Cheers,

R.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oh come on, you know the answer this....if you're not paying for the product....you are the product?

I did subscribe to the magazine. As I've been a full time student the last four years and my husband has been unemployed for the same period I couldn't justify a magazine subscription any more. I did once say that if/when things improve, I will likely go back to buying the magazine but actually, I'm not sure I will now. I ended up giving my back catalogue to the local doctor's surgery and was surprised at how many copies had never made it out of the cellophane wrapper that had protected them during delivery. And when I come here, it's really for the discussion and chance to look at other people's work, not to look at adverts for camera equipment or to learn how to shoot a portrait. In fairness, I don't see the forum and the magazine as being particularly linked to one another. I'm sure htey are, in so far as there are paid staff to moderate this and someone had to set it up and someone does a trawl of the news every day to link us up to photography related stories...but I also belong to forums that have been set up by friends and which operate in much the same way as this and feel no need to go and buy their cat food each week in recompense. I just think that the forum and the magazine website are viewed as separate entities and I hardly ever look at the website, just jump straight to the forum.

EightBitTony, Catriona and Trannifan like this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not any more. There used to be a "from the Forum" column in what were the "Ask AP" pages which lifted (and edited for space/clarity) some answers to questions. I always supposed they had some issues with intellectual property and dropped it.

I quite like the archive of articles from AP on the web-site. It is easier to recall a review from there then haul through the back-issues so I do look at the main web site even though this forum is separately bookmarked. I like to read the paper magazine and, through my subscription, support this forum in a small way.

10. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

You pay for the magazine and you enter the mags competition free, but the competition is not run by the mag anymore its run by a third party with a massive following and if you can afford it you can buy yourself into the competition........I wont enter again until the competition returns to AP....

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It hardly matters. There is hardly a publication in existence that is not majority funded by advertising. Discuss....:)

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But without strong circulation numbers, the advertisers will go elsewhere. Except they can't because there is only one weekly.

13. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

The majority of websites are (if they earn anything at all) wholly funded by advertising -- and look where that's got us. There are effectively no restrictions on advertising on the net, but people put up with abysmal rubbish because (a) they are too ill-informed and uncritical to see how bad it is and (b) they are stupid enough to buy the stuff that is advertised, like good (but mindless) little consumers.

Obviously perpetual growth is impossible on a finite planet, so the last thing we need is cynical manipulators peddling consumerism; which is of course the bedrock of advertising.

Cheers,

R.

14. jacobs_mark

jacobs_mark Member

[​IMG]

15. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

There's an old saying and I am sure that you have heard it before.....If you don't look after your customers then somebody else will! If you don't buy the magazine then p... off....sorry about that but some of us on here was bought up on AP. just a few years ago there were only a couple of good magazines on the shelf, remember, I do........only AP can put this matter to bed, I do believe the only way out is buying a subscription and being a member to enter the competitions! and talking about working for nothing I used to work for one of those companies that's why I have got f/a in the bank! I just wonder what Ken Rockwell thinks about all this? Look if you don't like the way APOY is run then don't enter. I shall still buy the magazine though, its still the best on the shelf, apart from the competitions, and the last page, no that's only a joke Roger, I find all your stories are a good read, honest.........

Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I wouldn't equate publications and websites.

17. EightBitTony

To a world that's smaller, more empowered and more socially engaged than ever before? To a world where knowledge is no longer held by the few and used as a tool to control the many? To a world where people can communicate across vast distances at almost no personal cost? To a world where people share, because they want to, where people give their time freely for a cause, where creation is seen by many as more important than consumption.

I reject your negative view of the world, and instead, feel it's important to present the positives.

The Internet is a catalyst for change on an unprecedented scale, there will be winners and losers in that, and I try and make sure, through some small actions, than the Internet drives more positive change than negative.

This, from Ghostbusters in 1984, always stuck with me.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  18. Roger Hicks

Dear Polyanna,

And I reject your simplistic view that (to quote Voltaire in Candide) we live in the best of all possible worlds. After all, we live in a world in which consumption is seen by many as more important than creation. The labourer is worthy of his hire. Well, some are. Except (for example) some of those who knowingly peddle rubbish to the hard of thinking.

Most of us (again, excepting perhaps the more diehard believers in the dubious virtues of advertising) try to improve things, so your high horse is a bit short in the leg.

Cheers,

R.

19. Roger Hicks

Dear Pete,

Why not?

Cheers,

R.

20. EightBitTony

Oh dear.