1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

One adult one vote. Repeat as required.

2. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I thought that was what had happened in the Brexit Referendum!

Please not that in my previous post I did say "Those who cared enough to vote"!

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Would that be the one we had in '75? By your argument that should have been the end of the matter. No need for another one.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

To quote a wise man "democracy is the worst system of government, apart from all the rest".

5. Andrew Flannigan

As Dave implied: we voted to stay in 1975 so the last referundum is unnecessary and you should sit down and accept it.

Isn't this democracy stuff a bugger? :p

DaveM399 and peterba like this.
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

You might associate it with the far left, Geoff. I think most would associate it with totalitarian regimes - of ANY persuasion.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Each year 500 names were chosen from all the citizens of ancient Athens. Those 500 citizens had to actively serve in the government for one year. During that year, they were responsible for making new laws and controlled all parts of the political process. When a new law was proposed, all the citizens of Athens had the opportunity to vote on it. To vote, citizens had to attend the assembly on the day the vote took place. This form of government is called direct democracy.

In essence, democracy was introduced to stop an oligarchic rule.
    It was to create a level playing field, where wealth and privilege played no part in the system of Government and law making.

8. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I am referring to the referendum to vote on if the UK should remain a member of the UK. It was put to the public to decide if we should remain members of the EU, the result showed that the majority did not wish to remain members of the EU. If you want to bring the '75 referendum in then on your very same reasoning we should not have needed any general elections since the first general Election in since a government was elected in the first General Election in 1708!

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who could potentially lose his job, his career and his house to Brexit (luckily I don't have a job that's important to the nation like picking lettuce, I just work to create the next generation of medicines), I really don't give a flying one what the result was, I'm going to fight for my living with tooth and nail.

Adrian

Trannifan, Zou, DaveS and 4 others like this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You have a point there.

peterba likes this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Actually, we didn't. In 1975 we voted to join, prior to that we weren't members of the Common Market. As I remember it the French didn't want us.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Perhaps you should edit the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum which says...

peterba likes this.
  13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The free males. Not women, not slaves, not (probably) several other groups. Think Tory party (apart from women these days).

s

John Farrell likes this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

"Those Greeks really knew how to keep the untermenschen in their place" A.H. of 25 Railway Cuttings, Berchtesgarten. ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  15. peterba

[pedantry alert] It was No. 23, Andrew. ;) :D

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

are you confusing AAStJH with AH....or is it just me?

17. Andrew Flannigan

The address was changed to protect the innocent... :p

peterba likes this.
  18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Cruise missiles aren't THAT accurate... :rolleyes:

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Hear hear!

steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  20. peterba

I dunno, David - AAStJH was at No.23.

Whom do you mean by AH... plain Anthony (Tony) Hancock? Alan Hansen? Audrey Hepburn? :D