1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Does that apply to those born on 29th February?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't think any have survived past their 25th birthday. :(

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That particularly annoys me when the correct answer has already been given. Just unbelievably stupid.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I nearly clicked 'like'. but I have a proviso. I would wouldn't I?

It's a good idea if those checkouts are manned/wommaned by pensioners who draw their government pension, still have their marbles, and do the job for pin-plonk money at half the minimum wage; not to let the supermarket use cheap labour, but for the other half of the wage to go to a local registered charity of the employees's choice. Hours of business at these terminals to be those for whch the terminals would be out of use (so it doesn't cost the supermarket a penny). That's fair. The throughput would be probably somewhat less than a normally staffed throughput.
    If I got the staff discount then I would probably be wanting a pensioner's job on those terms. It could be quite rewarding. Charming the old dears, doing something useful, buying the extra bottle or two of something better than plonk on staff discount, putting a bit of cash to a couple of local charities which I already support with my labour, and even maybe increasing my direct debit to a very worthy educational charity which many of you lefties would hate.

I started writing this post flipently. But actually I think that it could work very well. Minimum wage legislation would be an obstacle but that could be resolved eventually.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm only going to say I feel sorry for you all. I get pleasant customer service from my local Co-op supermarket (quite a big place) and very much nicer than the Tesco at the other end of town. Staff are efficient and pleasant to all customers. I'm sure they find it more onerous to deal with huge trolley loads and people wanting to put everything away before looking for their cards than with a pensioner who calls in frequently for milk and a few things at a time.

I managed to get out today (been iced in for a few days). A neighbour spotted me coming round the corner and dashed across to hold onto my hand and deliver me safely to the shop, all the while we chatted and laughed.

I wish you could all experience the same pleasant shopping experiences.

peterba and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I actually like food shopping, but then we gave up the 'big weekly shop' a few years ago and now I use whichever Tesco/Co-Op/Sainsbury's I happen to be passing for a top-up when I'm on my way home from a day's strolling with my camera :)

And I love the self-service checkout, and a easy way of getting rid of all that loose change I seem to accumulate!

Alan

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Learning, post: 1411926, member: 11980"... even maybe increasing my direct debit to a very worthy educational charity which many of you lefties would hate. . . . .[/QUOTE]
    Really? Why would anyone hate any genuinely educational charity? I can just about imagine how extremists (mainly of the right, I'd have thought) would be frightened of a well-informed and well-educated populace, but I can't follow your argument beyond that. What is this charity?

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  8. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

There's one at a local Tesco, he's older than me (I'm 82) seems to be there most days, he was in charge of the booze department until about 5 years ago.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Same here I love my local Co-Op it's very convenient for a start but the staff are always friendly (Well there's one but he isn't about much) and they never make me feel rushed

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  10. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's just a case of as I get older, they are deferring to my age but it seems that, in general, young people working in shops these days seem so much friendlier and pleasant than in the past.

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We really need to value people more. People in shops need to be treated with more respect by their bosses and they'll pass on that respect to their customers. We always try John Lewis first because the staff are knowledgable, confident and friendly and that's because they are the bosses.

12. willie45

Even in McDonalds, I'm amazed by how nice they are. It must p1ss them off to have to deal with some of the exotica around our office area but they seem unfailingly cheerful.

Maybe they get McDrugs as part of their contract ? ;)

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Perhaps they are selecting more cheerful candidates, it does seem to vary from company to company, locally the most cheerful seem to be Morrisons and believe it or not, Currys. Part of it of course also depends on the attitude of the customer towards them and maybe on the ambience of where they work, Aldi have just opened a store locally, I find it a depressing place, and the staff all seem to be miserable.

14. willie45

Interestingly IIRC Aldi are the highest payers of the supermarkets

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

But have poor working conditions.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Apparently, they really work for it though, it's the only supermarket where the staff have a brush stuffed into a part of their anatomy!

17. willie45

I really don't know enough to comment.

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Really? Why would anyone hate any genuinely educational charity? I can just about imagine how extremists (mainly of the right, I'd have thought) would be frightened of a well-informed and well-educated populace, but I can't follow your argument beyond that. What is this charity?

Cheers,

R.[/QUOTE]
    Lefties don't like public shools.
    Established 1552 and HMC. We genuinely give burseries to students of merit from very difficult bckgrounds who attend schools in less affluent areas. It is a so called public day school. The students who win burseries would otherwise go to a rough comprehensive where anyone of high accademic callibre would likely be bullied into mediocrety. We also have scholarships, which I do not support with cash but which I am not against. Scholarships go to students who are well prepared by middle class parents and their tutors. We also have many rich families who pay large fees that not only support their children's education but those of the scholars and burseried. The school did much for myself in the days of the direct grant. Being a grammar school it taught me grammar and some Latin . As my posts here suggest they never quite taught me English spelling; no institutuion is perfect is it?
    This charity provides education for over two thousand students who would otherwise have to be educated at public expense.
    I hope that my present contributions are a part repayment for the direct grant that my parents received when I was a student.
    It is possible to guess the identity of this school from what I have posted over the years on this site and so I have to say that my perception of the school is personal, and not official.
    It is the best school east of the Pennines and arguabley the best school in the north of England.

19. Roger Hicks

And all right-wingers are fascists or crypto-fascists. Or incapable of rational thought. Or (to be generous) incapable of nuanced thought.

Perhaps, if you read the sentence above, you will see what nonsense you have written: I deliberately couched it in similar thoughtless terms to your own assertion. There can only be two excuses for your post, and neither reflects to your credit. One is a variation on the omitted middle, or a generalization on the basis of woefully inadequate data: some on the left don't like public schools, therefore no-one on the left does. The other is a personal and perhaps somewhat recursive definition: something, perhaps, along the lines of "Anyone who doesn't like public schools is a leftie" or "a leftie is someone who doesn't like public schools".

I am pretty much on the political left, and like any intelligent person anywhere on the political spectrum I have mixed feelings about public schools. I went to one; and therefore, almost by definition, so did many of my friends. Certainly, any of the masters from my own old school would have been shocked if I had flatly asserted such drivel as your sentence that I quote above. Teaching us to think for ourselves, rather than regurgitating others' poorly thought out views, was an important part of their jobs.

I also have friends who left school at 15 or (in the case of some of the oldest) at 14. They include some of the most intelligent and thoughtful people I know. Certainly, I do not see much (if any) distinction between the brightest and best from either system. Anyone who can't see the drawbacks of the public school system is pretty much brain dead. So is anyone who can't see the advantages of the same system, especially in Direct Grant form. Which is, of course, what your charity is trying to replicate; and more power to you.

On balance, my strong suspicion is that having public schools is probably better than not having public schools; again, especially via the direct grant model, or failing that, via privately funded charitable schemes such as yours, though I'd far rather see a return to publicly funded direct grants (which, incidentally, were paid to the schools, not the parents). Equally, living in France where private schools are rare and often inferior (not least because many are religion-based), I can see that there are probably better systems. To begin with, selection at 11 is absurd: far better the American/French system, where secondary school is split into Junior High/College and Senior High/Lycée. Also, far too many teachers are not very bright, and poorly paid. This is not said from a position of ignorance: my mother and mother-in-law were both primary school teachers, and I am myself a qualified teacher who has taught in both "secondary modern" schools and comprehensives. And one of my oldest and dearest friends (she was my girlfriend when I was 16 and she was 15, and we have been somewhat like brother and sister since we broke up) is now a retired teacher. From her stories, I'm damn' glad I got out of it when I did, in the 1970s.

What I don't see, against a background of British politics, is any way of making the transition from the present British dogs' breakfast to anything better; which is why my conclusion in the previous paragraph was on balance.

Cheers,

R.

20. Roger Hicks

Dear Willie,

Oh, come on! This is the Internet. Pig-ignorance, stupidity and arrogance are no barrier to confident assertion, and as we all know, all opinions are equally valid.

Cheers,

R.

willie45 likes this.