1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Ouch!
    Any damage?

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Don't they cover 'changing gear' in the Police advanced driving course?

Cheers, Jeff

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I wasn’t going to ask that ;)

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Luckily you can tell there is no gear there when you attempt to go there so it never gets as far as going into gear.

And yes you cheeky buggers they did, just not in a C3 that really should have another gear added!

5. dream_police

Daughter

Daughter at uni, her car is at home. Car needs MOT, luckily dad at home. Car needs checking over before MOT. Dad's job. Sidelight bulb gone, rear windscreen wiper worn. Dad has to go to Halfords to get parts and pays for them. Dad has to replace the parts, dad takes car for test, Dad pays for test.

I love her though. lol.

RogerMac likes this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nige,

What else are daughters FOR?

Mine's just about to buy a house...

Cheers,

R.

RogerMac and dream_police like this.
  7. dream_police

In France or the UK?

8. Roger Hicks

Dear Nige,

France. Well, Brittany, anyway. She ain't stupid! And her boyfriend is a qualified chippie and sparks, so he has to go to his customers' sites. She's a freelance translator and can work from home.

It needs work, but less than the last one they considered which had no roof (fire). This one has a good roof, is built of stone and cob, and costs 22,000€. The one with no roof was 10,000€.

See what I mean about not stupid?

Cheers,

R.

9. dream_police

Not stupid absolutely. I have a friend who couldn't afford to buy in the UK so bought a place in France (Ségur-le-Chateau) and got a fantastic old place at a fraction of the cost of buying somewhere here.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Dear Nige,

One of my oldest friends sold a place in Cornwall for (as I recall) £330,000. Somewhere similar in Brittany would go for at most a third of that. and probably more like a sixth or even less.

Obviously a freelance translator (bilingual French/English, though most would call her trilingual French/ English/ German) can work anywhere, and obviously much the same is true of a chippie/ sparks, though he speaks only French. Then again, he's also a musician, and for that, the UK would probably be better. But he'd need to learn English...

Cheers,

R.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Whilst we are on the subject of family we have four grandchildren staying with us (half term) and the talk turned to the subject of collective nouns. Somebody suggested it was a "commotion of grandchildren". Does anyone know better?

12. dream_police

I'm not a granddad yet, but I can imagine an "irritation of grandchildren" would fit.:)

13. dream_police

I really feel for the young nowadays. There is no way my daughter could buy a house here in her home village. I sold my house, a 4 bed semi detached in 2016 (lived in in it since 1996) for £750K. It was a nice house but certainly not worth that amount of money. The house prices have rocketed around here.

Bear in mind we bought that when we were both public sector workers on a mortgage. That is beyond the realms of possibility for public sector workers now.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Aren't the prices in your area a little inflated by the wages paid to some football players?

15. dream_police

Yes, that hasn't helped the prices at all. Helped me of course, but it's all relative I suppose, as I had to buy somewhere else albeit I have moved a couple of miles away where there is slightly better value (again relatively speaking).

This whole pocket of Cheshire though is pricey and even going to some of the suburbs of Manchester you will pay the same prices (and in some even more)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'll now earn yet another chip on shoulder comment by pointing out that's the problem with thinking that some people "earn" vastly greater amounts than others. If we had a tax system that corrected such imbalances we wouldn't have the insanity of youngsters being driven away from their home towns and villages by being able to afford neither rents nor mortgages there. This at the same time other young people can't move into the major cities for work because they're "not worth" high enough incomes to allow them to live within a reasonable difference of the work.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

They are a lot of things but never that - not when they chose presents like this:
    Mug.JPG

dream_police likes this.
  18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

A 100 year mortgage for those that don't earn enough would be preferable IMO. Germany, Sweden and Japan already have them I believe.

19. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

I always take great care to distinguish between "earn" and "are paid".

Sure, you need taxes. But you also need sane pay differentials.

Cheers,

R.

20. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. There's a good Fest-Noz / Bal Folk circuit in Britanny if that's the music he plays. For rock it's the old story of making contacts.

Lynn