1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I've had problems with them too, one time they couldn't find this post code, it's a 4 storey block of 67 flats not exactly easy to miss, another couldn't figure how to work the entry phone, most of them had difficulty with the English language.

2. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Seeing the way they cram everything into their vehicles I don't think I'd trust them with anything vaguely fragile! Then again, most of their 'staff' are actually sub-contractors using their own vehicles................Mind you, DHL aren't necessarily any better when it comes to not delivering.

Lynn

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I got a knock on the door a few weeks back from a neighbour up the road. I'd ordered a fairly expensive item from Ebay from the Czech Republic. The neighbour brought a sodden through box that had been left on the doorstep of his neighbours house who was away on holiday. It was for me. The house name was not even similar and was a fair way from us, 200m or so. That was dumped by DHL. Luckily only the cardboard was wet, the item inside was well packaged and in good condition.

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Having recently had extensive experience with couriers none of them are perfect but UPS was probably the worse. Yes I had more mistakes with Hermes and DPD etc but they were delivering a lot of stuff

UPS just had to make 4 deliveries and every last one of them was delivered straight to the pick up point. They said their drivers have to make 3 attempts before doing that and must have done but if they did they never left a card except to notify me they'd taken my goods to the pick up point.

The individual winner though was DPD for taking something to the collection point and not telling me they'd done it. When I asked the supplier where the goods were they told me and gave me the tracking number so off I went but when I got there it wasn't there. DPD returned it to sender because I hadn't picked it up on time but how could I have when I didn't even know it was there in the first place!

The weird thing is I buy quite a few (90%+) of my dresses from a company called "Scarlett & Jo" and they use DPD and I have never once had a problem with getting their stuff delivered, always arrives on time!

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Odd. I've had a lot of stuff delivered by DPD and found them very good, the tracking's been spot on.
    I've had stuff from M&S when I've not been able to get to the store, and from TS in Germany, up to £2.5k telescopes, all on time according to the tracking.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

DPD for me have been very good. Always get a text giving the hour slot. Able to tell them a safe place to leave it if not in. In fact I personally cannot fault their service.

7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

From the look of some of the above replies it would seem a lot depends where you are, DPD are excellent in one area, pants in another, Hermes were OK where I lived up to just over 2 year ago, whereas here they are useless.

As with many other topics, cars, shops, hospitals, garages & etc you tend to hear all the bad stories, but rarely the good ones.

8. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

DPD by far the best in our area, Yodel and Hermes are a bit sh!te, no recent experience of UPS or DHL. With DPD you get the one hour slot, the name and photo of the driver too. Always deliver in the one hour window, and the online tracking shows where the van is and which delivery is currently being made.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's different depots? As I say the Scarlett & Jo deliveries via DPD are always spot on. I get the full works, name of driver, hour slot and a link to track where the driver is and as is often the case and I am not in, the driver has the initiative to ring the doorbell for downstairs who are almost always in and happy to sign for it and once it's been delivered I get an email telling me my parcel has been delivered and who signed for it and I must have had well over 30 parcels delivered from them (their sales are too good to resist- right now they're having a 50% off sale and club members have a voucher adding 50% to that! I had an unexpected credit on my PayPal account so 3 dresses really just set me back £25) and never a problem

But just 12 deliveries from Art.com and I had problems with 3-4 of them

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Having posted the above I have to say that I have a neighbour who gets a fair amount of stuff sent by parcels services and, when she's not there, I get asked to sign for the package. Things have got to the point where the drivers and I joke about the deliveries.....;"Don't tell me, Mrs. M. again!"

Lynn