1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not in the last 34 years to my knowledge, the houses have only been there 35 years

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm fed up with kitchen cleaners which don't work.

I've just tried one with a special label on it, viz: "SHOCK! This product actually works". Not on the dirt in my kitchen sink it doesn't.
    Can any cleaner mild enough to not need a safety warning be any good? And, I have read the instructions and left the foam on the dirt/grease for 60 seconds etc.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My mind is boggling slightly at just what level of dirt your kitchen sink is sustaining?!

I use a recipe that was given to me by a mate. Buy a bottle of cheap own brand window spray. Divide into two bottles. Add a squirt of washing up liquid into each, likewise a teaspoon of white vinegar, top up with water. Gets just about everything, espeically stainless steel, nice and shiny.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Our water here is quite hard, and leaves the kitchen sink in a very different state to that where two of my daughters live in soft water areas. 9.9% Ammonia solution cleared the mess quite quickly, but that's very pungent, really requires the wearing of gloves, and is not for casual use. And I hate wearing rubber gloves.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

That's a new aversion on me. Not heard of that one before.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm with him on that one. I can't bear wearing rubber gloves. Particularly if they have that nasty 'flock' lining inside. I can just about stand the unlined ones in a pinch but over the years have developed asbestos like skin on my hands and can withstand temperatures that nobody else here can so I just don't wear them unless the job is REALLY germ-ridden.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Don't know if the public can go buy it but I had some surplus/out of date military degreaser which could clean any metal part on my bikes to look like new. It destroys rubber parts though and if you got it on your skin you were going to bed feeling rather ill and sleeping it off (crawling skin and something along the lines of a dry boak).

Ironically that stuff stopped my gears grinding!

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

This becomes complicated when the drive is little longer or wider than the car and there is a garage. One should never reverse into a garage so the range of options is strictly limited.

Rule 201 applies as follows:
    Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    daft_biker likes this.
  9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I agree my kitchen sink has been the testing ground for loads of things. The best is something called "Simply Sinks" but even that doesn't produce much of a shine

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not to mention plughole un-blockers that don't work, and loo-cleaners ditto, especially the ones that claim to remove all lime-scale.
    And bathroom/kitchen cleaners that claim to clean grubby grouting. But don't.

:mad:

11. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

A great finalé for the thread!

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that I have mentioned this before but for loo cleaners that remove limescale look for hydrochloric acid amongst the constituents. The safer ones rely on lactic acid which might be ok if used everyday but is useless for batchelor pad where the bog only gets cleaned to clear a log jam.

13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Eww

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I looked, and found that they are all of 9% Hydrochloric acid, I can by 35% from my local hardware shop and that is great for removing lime scale and killing off tree roots.

15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

When I was a very small boy, in Musselburgh, an uncle of my mother had a posh grocer shop in North High Street. Behind one of the counters were three smallish barrels, one for whisky, one for brandy and one for (I think) sherry. Each barrel had a tap, under which hung a small bucket to catch drips.

The contents of the drip buckets were always emptied into the pail of soapy water, along with a splash of spirit vinegar, for washing the glass of the display cabinets and the shop windows.

Geren likes this.
  16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Hermes. How that company is still trading, I do not know.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Dear me. Slightly oxidised whisky, brandy and sherry should have been used to quench the thirst of a maturing rich fruit cake. The spirit vinegar alone would clean the glass.

18. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I use Hermes at least twice a week and have done so for quite some time. No problems that weren't quickly and amicably resolved. Had far worse service from other carriers.

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

You are lucky then. Look at their reviews. Absolutely awful. The parcel tracking said they attempted to deliver the parcel. They did not. They never set foot on my property. Tried to speak to someone. You can't. Waited for 30 mins to have a webchat. Was assured they would deliver today. Did not. The tracking page was not updated from 0500 this morning. Tried to have another webchat. Waited 25 mins then it disconnected as they closed. Spoke to the company who I had bought something from, for which I paid extra for next day delivery. They were not surprised as they get so many complaints about them - the customer service guy was surprised that the company still uses them. They have now lost my business. Told them to cancel the order and get it back from Hermes. I will now get a refund. It looks from the reviews that this attempted delivery is quite a common scam.

This is not the first time I have had problems with them.

20. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Yes I've read all the horror stories but I've had no problems with them. Three parcels to go tomorrow, perhaps I shouldn't be tempting fate! :)