1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Just reading the story again and noting its location, I suspect I know who did it too. :)

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Willie,

In this case, yes, but not when parked on a hill. In fact it's a legal requirement in California to park with your wheels turned do that if the car starts to roll away, the car will roll into the kerb. This may sound like an unlikely scenario but I know some who suffered a LOT of damage to her own car and a very high insurance bill when her Jeep ran away in San Francisco.

Also, that wheel sticks out no further than the wing mirror (as would normally be the case) so I suspect that your difficulty in getting past is often at least as much psychological as physical.

Cheers,

R.

3. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

A useful trick might be to block the acess yourself - a couple of old chairs and planks, or red-white waring band if you can get it. This should give the impression that either workers (painters, builders etc.) are expected or that it's moving day. This seems to be respected in Germany, even if the builders/removal van never show up! OK, it's a bit of a hassle having to move the barrier when you want to go in or out but I can't see another driver going to the effort of moving everything!

Lynn

Geren likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I must admit if I park on an incline I always turn the wheels into the kerb for that reason. Even though I now drive autos and there is virtually no chance of it moving.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Blue rope is cheap.....and how good are you at tieing car sized parcels?

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Do you find yourself parking on inclines more often with the auto? Makes reversing up hills easy....and hill starts so I can take the spots that are awkward with a manual transmission. :D

7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Yes, the point your making re the hills would be an example of correct parking Roger, and I believe it's supposed to be the case in the UK too, but only where it would make sense. My own gripe is when it's done in a very narrow lane ( and on the flat ) as happens when it's been difficult to park and then the person doesn't adjust their wheels afterwards. There's a lane nearby where this seems to happen often. I have encountered a few cases where the wheel protrudes quite a way from the car body and many wing mirrors retract nowadays making the wheel a real obstacle. As I said probably not in the case above though. As with most things in life which fall into the "grinds my gears" category, I probably has become as much a psychological irritation as anything.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Not sure but I rather like the idea of a massive piece of polka dotted ribbon in order to make an utter spectacle out of it too.

daft_biker likes this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

A long time ago in Devon there was a bloke who came back to find his car half buried in finest manure because he'd blocked a driveway. A real case of the consequences of not giving a shit. ;)

Zou and Geren like this.
  10. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

You'll probably end up falling foul of the law if you indulge yourself too much though. Either that or you might get a Glasgow kiss ;)

11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, a golden oldie if ever there was one! Usually involves a cement truck however......Alternatively try "Eddie Baker's Muckspreader" by John Kirkpatrick.

Lynn

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Beat me to it Roger, its is in the Highway Code too.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Geoff,

Good Lord, I'd forgotten... Aaaargh.

Cheers,

R.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I did think it seemed too good to be true until I met one of the guys from the council who'd been part of the clean up squad. He wanted to put it all back again when the mean sod who owned the car failed to give them a tip!

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Well if the mean sod who owned the car had commited a parking offence then he should have been given community service to include shovelling the shit to release his car.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

As is reverse into a drive and drive out but that doesn't appear to be the norm to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in there about not reversing into moving traffic too.

17. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I *nearly* always reverse into my shared drive. The exeption being if it's dark and there's next door's car is in their half, in which case I go in frontways for safety.

I also park nose first in supermarket car-parks since it's a lot easier to unload a trolly if it's right next to the boot.

I seem to remember a highway code prohobition on reversing into a major road. Doesn't stop the hard of thinking from doing it though.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The Highway Code contains many a gem that even the car manufacturers ignore:
    Don't sit at traffic lights holding the car on the brakes, use the hand brake, do that in some cars and the eco stop/start will restart the engine. Poor design that should never have received type approval but so what?
    Don't obstruct a dropped kerb, well who would have thought of that?
    Use rear fog lights only in when visibility is below N meters, but some drivers see a slight mist and on go the lights. I'm sitting 3 feet from your back bumper going nowhere, you don't need the fog light on!
    There are more!

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I live on a cul-de-sac and I always reverse out, there is rarely any other traffic.

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Do emergency services ever need access past your drive?