1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

"Ludo"?

S

DaveM399 likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

[Captain Mainwaring] You stupid boy... [/Captain Mainwaring]

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Y'all got short memories - does nobody remember 'Nellie the elephant' of Christmas 1984, courtesy of the Toy Dolls? It fills me with horror just to think about the endless plays on wireless, juke box and in shops and malls.

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

A real gear grinder - the cookie message every time I click on anything on this site. :mad:

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Airports.

been through passport control 3 times now today in Düsseldorf. Twice my passport worked in the auto passport booth. Third time I had to queue up with non EU citizens. Get to the gate and they decide my small hand luggage, which is smaller than the minimum size has to go in the hold.
    Add to that English wankers abroad who then argue with the airport staff over that same issue, swearing at the poor guy doing his job. He was joined by another member of staff and I was hoping they’d deny boarding because the next sorry is I’ll be sat next to the twat on board. Sad to say they didn’t deny him.
    I hate flying.

An update and a RTBC I’m not sat next to him now I’ve got on this little propeller airplane

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    EightBitTony likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Oddly enough that's the one xmas song I can listen to any time. Then again I like the way Kirsty MacColl belts out her lines. She really sounds as if she's about to brain him with a spare chair leg! :D

LesleySM, peterba and Trannifan like this.
  7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I like the new Bryan Adams 'Christmas' song 'Joe and Mary'. Video is good too.

8. Mawkguc

Mawkguc Member

The Lighthouse Family!

MJB likes this.
  9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

If only they were or perhaps the Desert Island family...
    Which reminds me, why are so called desert islands actually miniature jungle islandso_O

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Deserted islands?

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...and I thought they were islands full of fruit trifle and custard pudding :(

GeoffR likes this.
  12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Waking at 6am and finding I have an eye migraine.
    Now going through the nauseous bit. Roll on tomorrow.

13. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Not actually grinding my gears but something that is slightly, well a little something that has to be answered and at the same time disturbing until it is done!

The progress now gathering speed to leave behind the smelly fume producing internal combustion engine and replace them with electric, soul-less, 4 wheel copies of a real car. A brilliant idea, I have no quarrel with that point but just how are they all going to be recharged? Roadside charging points? when are they going to start installing them in other places than car parks or service stations?

Just one question that has never been discussed and that is how the millions of potential electrically propelled car owners who live in a house where any charging lead from home to car would have to pass over a pavement. They can hardly expect millions of owners to leave them overnight in a public charging point. How about owners who by choice or otherwise, live in a multi story apartment block? Then if you are fortunate enough to have a driveway, (as I do) you can install a charging point on the side of your house. There again if you can have a personal charging point OUTSIDE your house, (again like I do) what is to stop 'Jack the Lad' plugging in to my charging point and having a free fill up at the owners expense.

I think there is a lot of groundwork with accompanying thought to be considered together with facilities provided, before I swap my small family hatchback, for the similar metal box powered by electricity. I prefer two wheels anyway. (Motorcycle not pedal cycle). Oh yes I am not actually against electrical powered vehicles, 2 or 4 wheels, just there seems little thought has gone into the refueling infrastructure necessary.

14. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

You're asking the wrong question. The one to ask is - how many people will own any sort of car, in the future?

EightBitTony likes this.
  15. John King

I though of that, but I cannot see the worlds population totally abandoning mechanical transport and instead relying on public transport to get where they want to.

16. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Is there a choice?

17. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I would suggest that if you had a charging point outside your house you would have the common sense to make sure it can be switched on and off from inside the house, or in a lockable box outside. I would also imagine if Jack were able to unplug your car to plug his in then your charging cable is too long.

18. John King

I had not considered a switch off inside the house, but the main point is how on earth will those with out the ability or facility to have a charging point at their house, manage to recharge their vehicles? Hardly during the day when they will be used - they will probably need a fully charged battery in the morning -especially when it is bitterly cold and the capacity of the battery will be reduced. The use of public points I would think is virtually impossible/highly unpopular. I don't know of may people who will as a matter of course leave their cars in a public charging station over night. An invitation for crime. Not necessarily to steal them, but to break in and take what has been left inside.

19. John King

There will be eventually, but it just has not been thought through properly in the head over heels mad rush. Otherwise we revert to horses!:eek: and the ensuing pollution that will cause.

20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Labels, my halogen oven packed up but as it's only 3 months old I can send it back, I need a label to do so, just one...they sent me three in three separate envelopes!