1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, and yes again, Steve. The amount of coverage that repulsive little sh*t gets is quite ridiculous. :mad:

Apologies if I'm repeating myself from earlier threads, but UKIP has only had a single MP. The BP has never had an MP, since they have not yet contested a general election (the on-going election campaign aside). Likewise, the Green Party has only had a single MP.

However, the media coverage given to Farage is far, FAR greater than the coverage given to Caroline Lucas, Jonathan Bartley, Siân Berry - or indeed, anyone from the Green Party.

Zou, steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Not a gear grind but a sign of age.

I've always liked cycling and exercise. Up to not many years ago I'd go out cycling or go to the gym and come home feeling pretty good.

Now I go out cycling or go to the gym and come home feeling like I've been kicked round a field by a bull....

I suppose there's a lesson to be learnt somewhere......

beatnik69 and steveandthedogs like this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Stop taking shortcuts through the bull's territory?

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

For the last 2 weeks or so the same message from Amazon repeated 3 or 4 times a day informing me that my prime membership subscription of $xx.xx will be taken from my account etc etc etc. What makes it worse is they are using an American woman with one of those typically grating accents, don't know what part of the USA the accent comes from but I'm getting somewhat xxxxed off with it.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Contacted Amazon, as suspected "not us gov - honest!" spoofers at it again, I hadn't listened to the whole message so there was probably a "give us your details" line in there somewhere.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, I heard there was an amazon prime scam going on. I've had calls and texts but have just deleted them.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Factually inaccurate song lyrics.

I was listening to Radio 1 (not through choice) and there was what I believe to be a 'Grime' track playing. The artist tried to rhyme something about a girls eyes with "I want to stick something in your ovar-eyes". The baseness of the lyric made me cringe, but it's the sheer physical impossibility of the proposition unless the rapper is a qualified gynaecologist that really bugged me. On a related theme, Squeeze's 'up the junction' and its line "This morning at four fifty, I took her rather nifty, Down to an incubator, Where thirty minutes later, She gave birth to a daughter" really makes my piss boil.

SqueamishOssifrage and LesleySM like this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you do a 1471 after the call you can go here https://who-called.co.uk/ and report the number for the benefit of everyone else who may have the same call.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is called "poetic license" but that doesn't make it any better.

Elton John's Daniel winds me up "I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain". No Elton/Bernie you can't because aircraft tail lights are white!

LesleySM likes this.
  10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Saw them earlier this year.... still good

11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Are you trying to tell me that the romantic love sonnet is dead?

Still, it gets to the point faster than

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
    I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
    My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
    For the ends of being and ideal grace.
    I love thee to the level of every day's
    Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
    I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
    I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
    I love thee with the passion put to use
    In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
    I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
    With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
    Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
    I shall but love thee better after death.

Somehow, however, it appears somewhat tawdry by comparison with Browning. Can't think why.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Most poetry and lyrics come apart when you listen carefully. The only real exceptions I can think of are humorous songs by the likes of Benny Hill, Flanders and Swann or Tom Lehrer where the daftness of the words is the whole point...

peterba likes this.
  13. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

The Master of daftness! :)

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Before you hear I stand, my heart is in my hand... Yeuch!

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Are you sure that shouldn't read "Before you here I stand, my heart is in my hand..."

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Balls! That's what happens when you tripe in a hurry...

GeoffR and Catriona like this.
  17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

'Celebrities' [and I use the word 'Celebrities' very loosely] who go on to shite television programmes such as 'I'm a Celebrity get me out of here' and moan and cry about how much they are missing their family.

If that's the case then don't go on the bloody programme. Think of another way to resurrect your faded career..... :mad::mad:

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Having (inadvertently) caught the occassional glimpse of such people I wonder just how many of them had a career to resurrect... :confused:

CollieSlave and dangie like this.
  19. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

The fact that despite having 4-6 of the things tonight when I come to load the washing machine it appears all my under slips have vanished. Seriously I am turning the laundry basket upside down and no sign of the buggers!

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Are you still wearing them

spinno likes this.