1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

John Lennon would disagree.

peterba likes this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

That's all you are saying?

MJB likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Pease me!

RovingMike likes this.
  4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Spike Milligan had an opinion on peas, and table manners.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Processed, mushy, garden or sweet?

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

You forgot round... Nige's wife loves round peas.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Bin men who come early.

they have changed our collection day to a Friday. I forgot to put out 2 full garden waste wheelie bins and my recyclables wheelie bin which was virtually full, last night.

I remembered when I got up at 0730 this morning and on checking my neighbours bins, the buggers have already been!

8. Catriona

Any luck using any elsewhere? My nearby supermarket has recycling skips, so if we get stuck we can use them (glass, paper, plastic etc.)
    Our recycling only gets uplifted every 4 weeks so missing one is difficult. Other waste (garden and non-recycling) is every 2 weeks.

9. dream_police

Our recycling bin is mixed, plastic, cardboard, paper, tins, glass all in one bin so I would have to empty it and separate for local recycling centres. I’ll have to try and recycle as we go for the next 2 weeks. I could probably climb in the bin and compress it down a fair bit though.
    The green bins are no massive worry as not much will be going in there for the next 2 weeks.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

You'll have to build garden compost heaps! I used to have a huge area of lawns to cut. I put all the grass clippings under hedges and bushes to quite a depth! In the Spring, it had all been taken down by worms and what was left was weed-free.

Learning likes this.
  11. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Amazon......

I have had a monitor sat in one of my wish lists for almost 2 months now, priced at £299 reduced from £379

I noticed it appeared today on Amazons black Friday event, so I check the price to see what they have reduced it to, their black Friday price is £299!

No further reduction in price!!

12. dream_police

Buggers. It appears it is common practice amongst a lot of retailers to increase prices prior to Black Friday so they show a reduction. All designed to suck the gullible in.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The law rather forces people into that kind of deception. In trying to make price claims credible, they only succeeded in making them more deceptive. Far better to let them all become incredible and people fall back on their own value judgement.

14. John King

John King Well-Known Member

That could be a breach of trading laws. I wonder if Trading Standards would be aware. As I recall to be classed as a 'sale' item, the price quoted before the sale must have been in effect for 1 month or more before the 'reduction'

15. dream_police

Thats why they increase the prices before a sale. Tesco etc are guilty of that on many occasions reportedly.

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I think all the law says is that the item has to be offered for sale at a certain price for a specific period before the sale.

I remember when I bought my first LCD TV at Currys, cost just under £200 for a small screen job - I remember the wide-screen was as high as my little 20" ordinary TV - and this was a good few years ago. I was in the store a few week later and its price had gone up to about £400! Then, weeks later when the sales started, it was marked down to just under £300. A dirty little trick, but apparently quite common.

17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

What grinds my gears? FOUR pictures/news items about Farage and the Brexit Company ltd on the BBC website at the same time. Political neutrality? Never.

S

peterba and Catriona like this.
  18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What did you expect from the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation?

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Recently bought a pair of Mountain Bike shoes to see me through the winter from Sports Direct. They were £35.00 marked down from £109.99p a massive saving of nearly 70%.

Who's kidding who..??

They were ok value at £35 but were never £109.99p in a month of Sunday's.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The BBC gave the Labour manifesto as much coverage on the previous day.

The BBC viewed over the period of a few days is neutral.