1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Someone should definitely sort out the theft, that's for sure.
    At one time the OAP was equal to the single person's allowance. No longer true.
    I remember when my husband was told by a Macmillan nurse to claim benefit, he did and received it for a while. Then he was assessed (remotely) and lost it, although he was terminally ill then. Someone must have had a guilty conscience or something, because a couple of months later, it suddeny appeared again. All our years of paying tax and when you need some back? Jump through fire.

Zou likes this.
  2. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Yet another pet gripe that makes me want to throw up!

TABLE MANNERS (or lack of them)

Yesterday the 'boss' and I went out for Sunday lunch and were unfortunate enough to be seated next to a family of four. Mum, dad, son and daughter. The first three were out of my view but the manners expressed at the table by the daughter were vomit inducing. She wasn't a child, but was probably aged about 23-25ish. Very attractive visually but it ended there. Their meal arrived before ours and we were subjected to the sight of this female chopping her food into large chunks and stuffing it into her mouth. I do mean STUFFING!) one fork full after another before starting to chew briefly and swallow most of it in the original state! It continued as if it was a race! Then a piece of meat about 1/4 of an inch thick and about 2 to3 inches across followed into her mouth in one fell swoop. Chew, chew, chew, then swallow again.

Our food arrived but as she was in my line of sight I could not help her actions catching my eye. Then the mobile phone appeared, so the food was forgotten for a few mins whilst she tap tapped the keyboard sending a message. The human dustbin continued eating, then instead of cutting a Yorkshire pudding and using the fork to feed it into her mouth she picked it up with her fingers, pulled it apart, then used it to wipe up the gravy remaining on the plate before stuffing at least 1/3rd of the pudding into her mouth and at the same time dripping juices onto a pale pink sweater. The coup de grace was to lick her knife clean, then wipe her gravy soaked fingers on the upholstery of the chair she was sitting on. UGH!

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I hate bad table manners. Add to that, chewing gum with an open mouth.

4. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

My bus driver this morning, seemed to think he was Lewis Hamilton!

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Was he whiny and entitled, only having ever driven the best buses available?

Learning likes this.
  6. Derek W

Is that how he behaves?

I only know of him as a formula one racing driver.

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yeah - but that's only because the owners of the best buses know he's the best bus driver around, so they get him as the driver.

8. SqueamishOssifrage

Rampant rip-off pisses me right off rather annoys me. The summer out here is too hot for wandering around with five kilos of kit, so the photography season tends to shut down, and restarts in October. As a result, I had not read any of my digital issues of AP, and had them gathering dust electrons on my tablet. Yesterday I played catch-up and realized that my subscription ran out in July. Eager to renew, I thought I would change from Zinio because once when I was having a hip replaced in a hospital with no WiFi, although I had downloaded at least a dozen magazines of different titles, when I came to read them the app randomly asked me to log in - but I couldn't without WiFi - very, very annoying!

I went to their main competitor for a quotation - one year digital €167.99! That's more than the print edition which is flown out here!

Straight back to Zinio, one year for €81.25 - less than half the other price. Fortunately my current tablet has a data SIM card, so I won't get caught out again.

9. Derek W

A library card + RBdigital = Free digital copies of AP as they are released

10. SqueamishOssifrage

Lucky you!

11. Derek W

I shared it as useful information for you seeing as you were ranting about the price you were paying.

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not grinds my gears anymore but I thought I'd update on what was a gear grinder.

I have now had my 3rd session with the therapist and about to start proper the EMDR therapy next week. Yes, it has taken a years wait, but in fairness to him he seems very good, he listens as well as talks and offers pointers. Hope this EMDR works for a multiple of things. I have identified my nice place. Thanks to @RovingMike and @beatnik69 (I think) amongst others.

Catriona likes this.
  13. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Oh come on... isn't that the best way to eat Yorkshire Pudding...?? ☺

Gezza, Catriona and Zou like this.
  14. SqueamishOssifrage

Sorry - I wasn't being supercilious - it's just that in Cyprus there are no public libraries. and the only private one is in the university. Genuinely, lucky you! When I lived in England I was a heavy user of the public libraries.

15. Derek W

Sorry I hadn't computed you lived in Cyprus when I made my suggestion

16. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it. Nige. Hope it all goes well.

dream_police likes this.
  17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Buying a sourdough bloomer from the bakery section of the Co-op and when I open it, find it's a cheese bloomer instead. Nice, but I wanted a plain one! (just labelled sourdough bloomer).

18. John King

John King Well-Known Member

It was the whole sequence of events and in company. OK when you are at home but there is no need to behave like a pig (even if you are one) when in public.

19. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I think I can hear squeals of outrage from the pigs.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  20. Lark Ascending

Lark Ascending New Member

Peas