1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Gmail clipping messages. Sure you can click to see the whole message, but why not just give an option to see full messages all the time by default?

peterba likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That takes me back. In 1981 I wrote a primitive spreadsheet program for an obscure operating system called Zebra. It was clunky but did the job. And it ran in 48 KBytes!

O tempora o mores! :D

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Recently I have been doing some Android programming, and it amazing how many libraries are out there, but a huge amount of them are for UI pretty-pretties. I'm no longer sure that being a programmer these days requires as much logic and maths as it used to.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

When on a standing room only train, people who think it’s acceptable to leave their bag on the seat next to them. Then give you dirty looks when you ask them if they could move their bag so you can sit down. Arsehole.

There is an upside to this though, shortly after sitting down I gave up my seat to an elderly lady for the hour trip. She had a really annoying tickly cough and it actually made me happy that he was getting that annoyed with her, humphing, turning away from her and kept throwing me looks because I had the audacity to take the seat and then give it up to her, lol. He never once considered giving his up to other old folk on the train though.

SqueamishOssifrage, Zou and Catriona like this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

At what point does one stop giving up a seat to an old person and become the old person?

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The most extreme example of this I ever experienced was 30 years ago on a train to Innsbruck. There were 2 seats left in a compartment and my wife took one. The other, next to her, was occupied by the feet of a young man opposite. I said "entschuldigung bitte" and the feet stayed where they were. The young men on either side nudged him and whispered urgently but the feet stayed. So I sat on them. He glared at me and I smiled back at him. He glared some more then retracted the feet and pushed out of the compartment. The remaining young men apologised profusely, explaining he was "schwierig".

Unfortunately, there's always the occasional idiot. :(

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I once had someone behind me on the bus use the empty seat next to me to dump their bag, which was somewhat awkward when someone needed to sit there.

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago I was on the tube in the rush and this young guy barged everyone out the way to get to a seat and then stuck his bag on the next one and started spraying himself with Lynx and when I say "spraying" it was non-stop, he ran out of one can and just took another out and kept going. At this point a young woman politely asked him to stop because she has asthma.

he replied along the lines of he did not care if she choked to death he had to smell fresh for his ladies! Only it was a million miles less politely put, shall we say....

9. dream_police

When one is a fit old person and the other old person is frailer. In my case I’d also add that if that person was female too. Call me old fashioned but I’d offer a seat to a female more than a male unless there was a reason why it would be the other way.

Catriona likes this.
  10. SqueamishOssifrage

Tsk tsk. The correct response is "Why - thank you very much. That is most generous and charitable of you. I am sure we will enjoy its contents very much when I get home with it".

Bet they'd grab it back PDQ. :D

11. SqueamishOssifrage

I don't know, but if you really want to see extreme courtesy to the elderly, go to the Philippines. On arriving at Manila airport, I was gently taken aside by a uniformed gentleman. My fears of being the latest of Duterte's extra-judicial killings were soon dispelled as he led me directly to the front of the queue, to a desk specifically for those over 65. My wife came with me as my 'carer' and our baggage counterfoils were taken, and the luggage delivered directly to us, way ahead of the carousel starting. We were in the hotel within about 30 minutes of wheels down!

A similar level of courtesy was displayed on our departure, and anybody that knows Manila airport will realize what an enormous that benefit can be.

Catriona likes this.
  12. dream_police

I was in Philadelphia airport once with my mum. The airport is huge and as we were transiting we had a massive distance to get to another gate. A guy driving a courtesy car and asked my mum if she would like a lift(us included) and she refused. 45 mins later as we are slogging along she began to regret pretending that she was younger than she was. We weren’t thst pleased either!

13. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Back in the late 90's I was on a train where a man about 30 years old had dumped their bag on the seat opposite them and refused to move it - until a ticket collector came along and having overheard someone complaining, asked, "Can I see the ticket for the other seat you are also occupying?" The man, then grudgingly removed his stuff.

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Saw Podiatrist today. I haven't got a foot - I've got a football!
    Because of lack of staff, my appointments at 8 week intervals stretched to 5 months. So now I have an area which has significant nerve damage and is difficult to reduce because of the pain. Hopefully I will be being seen at weekly intervals for at least 4 weeks to try to gradually reduce the growth on the side of my foot! No fun. :(

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My cousin, known affectionately as "defender of the realm" within the family. He served briefly in the Grenadier Guards until he bought himself out the moment it looked like he may have to put himself in harm's way. He then re-enlisted in the logistics corps, where he served with distinction as a lorry driver. Guess which cap badge he wears on his beret when he attends his local Remembrance service.

peterba likes this.
  16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Tower cranes distorting radio reception............

Lynn

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I love my allotment, and I had a thoroughly satisfying time over the weekend digging it, got far more done than I had expected. And spending a couple of hours on a former WW1 airfield on Remembrance Sunday seemed apt.

Unfortunately I'm not as young as I was, much as I like to think otherwise, and today pretty much everything between the lower back and the toes hurts.

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

People who use their mobile phone in Portrait orientation when recording video.

SqueamishOssifrage and beatnik69 like this.
  19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Which is the vast majority.:(

20. dream_police

My wife is one of them. When I see her do it,I always ask if she wants me to turn the TV on it's end when she watches a TV program.

dangie likes this.