1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Inspired by the pet hates thread...

For me, people that litter the streets, the ones that break glass beer bottles especially piss me off.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

All too many things! Things that at one time would not have annoyed me, there are others that at one time would have, no longer do.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Badly written instruction books.

I used to write instruction books for quite complicated things for a living, and I learned two things. The first is that you need to be relentless in getting the CORRECT technical details from the (alleged) subject matter expert, and the second is that if you need to do A before B, don't leave A until the end of the paragraph following B.

One of my standard lines was, "I am a 16-year-old school leaver who has been told she will be using this from tomorrow. What buttons do I press?"

And my standard reply to "It's not that simple..." was "Then go away and redesign it until it is."

Cheers,

R.

4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

One of my recent pet hates - people who use cafes in bookstores as a public library, for one they take a table that could be used by someone wanting to eat, and secondly they remove stock (sometimes several books) from the shelves that someone might want to buy, particularly annoying when the cafe is busy and and the books are £50 monographs that are effectively not on sale - and are frequently left at the tables for the staff to put back.

Sounds like a contender for Room 101.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Places that close down (dead) at 5pm
    Places that don't open at all on Sunday
    Dead town centres

Oh dear....... all here. :(

PeatSmoke, Trannifan and Zou like this.
  6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Smokers.....
    Well not all smokers.
    The ones who discard their dog-ends on the pavement outside a local hostelry in the High Street even though there are bins provided.

RovingMike likes this.
  7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

A lot of things used to grind my gears but then I realised that I was wasting energy directing my spleen venting....so now I have decided to hate everything... that way I don't miss anyone or anything out:p:D

DaveM399 and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  8. MarcusT

MarcusT Well-Known Member

Trying to debate/discuss important issues, where the people have no facts at all. Emphazing the word of 2016 'Post-truth'

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

What grinds your gears?

Well, three things really: -

1. Farage
    2. Farage
    3. Farage.​

Did I leave anything out...?

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The management of large companies who think I.T. security is an expensive frippery. :mad:

AndyTake2 likes this.
  11. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Oversensitive people who get irritated by trivial things all the time. Really. I want to kill them

PhotoEcosse and Catriona like this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Dog owners.
    Dog owners are really oversensitive when one criticises their competance to control their animals

13. Learning

Radio3 playing stuff that should be on radio 1, as of less than thirty seconds ago.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Didn't use Auto-Tune, so more Radio-2 than 1.

Plus, it's 'Words and Music', which is always a right old mixture of stuff. Lots of readings too - should they be all on Radio 4? ;)

15. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Twist off tops on beer bottles that clearly require the grip strength of an angry orangutan and rip your hands to shreds in the process.............'Twist Off Top' my arse!:mad:

Catriona likes this.
  16. Learning

Yes most of them. But I also like my radio 4 words to be less sentimental than what we get on words and music.
    Right now something that my grand dad would describe as tune the cat died of. Actually its rather appropriate accompiment to this thread.

17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Everyone else and everything they do.

Andrew Flannigan and peterba like this.
  18. Learning

And those occasional wine screw off tops where the thread fails before the bits that are meant to break.

Craig20264 likes this.
  19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

No,"he's just a puppy really, he just wants to be your friend":rolleyes:

20. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Flippin' 'eck! :eek: I'll be keeping out of your way, then... ;)

willie45 likes this.