1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do with all your photos?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Bazarchie, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Having recently added keywords to all my 2016 photos, it made me realise how few I share with others. If you saw them you would probably say that was a good thing. I had approx. 8 prints and/wall art ordered from labs, shared some folders on Amazon cloud with family members and emailed some photos to my immediate family following various events. Most just stay on my pc.

I was planning to produce a photo book for Christmas, but a death in the family meant we were otherwise occupied.

What do other members do?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I keyword them as I take them off the camera. I review and delete on import and do a first ranking. I'll print some but I'll put a low resolution version of most on Flickr. I started this when working away from home for the purpose of sharing with family what I was doing on the weekends I could not get back. Because I filed by subject, using Flickr albums, it also became my subject index. Now I use the Flickr camera roll feature a lot - it is useful to see what I was doing this week 1,2,3 ... years ago which gives ideas for things to do. The family photographers now do much the same and we "follow" each other on Flickr so we can easily keep up to date on who does what.

I haven't substituted the family albums with photo books yet but I do make 6x4s for the album as well as larger prints. It is harder to discipline yourself to "file" prints in an album than it was in film days when getting the results back gave a window to sort the "keepers".

Having the family pictures on Flickr makes it easy to bring together the pictures taken by several people in one place for viewing and they can be accessed from anywhere using a tablet or laptop.

Bazarchie likes this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

For a start I don't shoot a lot. That makes management easier. I hardly bother with keywording, but it can help to have it done early on rather than adding in Flickr. Haven't printed in a while as I'm searching for the driver disc (downloaded a driver but doesn't have all the software features for colour management etc.).

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I enjoy *taking* photographs, I enjoy walking around, seeing things, and trying to capture the image. I enjoy processing the results (to some extent, recently I've struggled for a number of reasons), and I post a few to Flickr to share with a few other people I know who also take photographs. But for the most part, 99% of them never see the light of day. But I enjoy the process.

I did however, read something (or maybe saw something on YouTube) a short while ago saying that getting prints, actually having something in your hand really helps with the desire to go and take more photographs. It may have even been in a post on this forum - if someone said it - apologies, my memory is terrible. So this Christmas I did a calendar of some street photos (theme: Old Market Square, Nottingham) which would all be panned in the Appraisals section, but which for me really energised me to get out and take more photos again. There's something very, very different about seeing the images in print. I did calendars because I felt that in some way, it was more forgiveable for them not to be perfect. A print or photo book carries more pressure to be excellent, where-as a calendar is intentionally short lived, and that really helped.

I also put a calendar together of the small number of pictures I took on my family holiday in August before I fell over and fractured my arm and foot! That was cathartic as well - and appreciated by the family members in the shots. Again, calendar allowed me not to worry about perfection.

Going forward, I'm absolutely going to do ~20 print photo books for my own enjoyment, mostly as a record of (hopefully) improving over time.

JBJB and Bazarchie like this.
  5. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

I too enjoy taking photos, of just about anything that takes my fancy. I also enjoy playing with them for hours on the PC. Interesting or bizarre results I share with family and friends via (private) Flickr or email and some that take my fancy for various reasons are printed as postcards and hung around the house in frames or just pinned in lines by the staircase. I also acquire interesting postcards from shops (The Photographers Gallery always had a good selection) and galleries to intersperse with my own. There's probably at any time a around 40 cards around the walls interspersed with 'proper' art. It's what walls are for, at least in our house. There are also a few 'art' prints which have taken our fancy and even a couple of my own commercially printed montarges. Our main criterias for 'hanging' are that it must be interesting and/or attractive and fun. Fun is the big thing we're not into big thought

Bazarchie likes this.
  6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I take far too many shots and delete nothing (apart from accidental shots of my feet) on the basis that I might find a use for anything anytime. But I do keep telling myself, in vain, that I should do more thinking before pressing the shutter release, rather than afterwards.

I keyword everything upon import to Lightroom, which is a huge bonus.

What do I do with them?

Basically I don't take photographs for the purpose of sharing them casually. I take them with an ultimate view of either printing and hanging on my wall, printing for exhibitions or for using as PDIs or prints in camera club/RPS/SIG competitions.

Many that I take are taken with a view to providing elements for use in creative composites - again with the same end-uses as mentioned above.

I also produce an annual calendar for family and friends and have a few hundred languishing on Alamy - but the only ones that sell are non-artistic record shots of things like the exteriors of prisons or birds.

Just guessing - but of the 30,000+ images currently in my Lightroom catalogue, I doubt if more than 1000 have ever been used as outlined above.

Bazarchie likes this.
  7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Don't take very many these days but of those I do take the majority get printed to 7 x 5 using one of the cheap on-line printing firms. Upload the files and they send back prints in a few days. The occasional one that looks promising gets home printed A4 or A3. and hung of the wall for a while.

8. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I put a certain amount onto a DVD - and store it away.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Most photographs pass in to nothingness with us.
    Which is perhaps fortunate as there are more new photographs, than anyone will ever look at, made every day.

So what we do with them in our lifetimes is perhaps of remarkably little importance.

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

A lot of the time I tend to leave them sat on the hard drive or worse on the card, unsorted, unrated and un-keyworded (for want of a better term:D) until they've built up to a point where I suddenly realise i'd better do something about it...:rolleyes:

After that some get processed and seen at club or on Flickr and here while the rest all too often remain neglected until i take a wander through the archives...:confused:

Not just me then....:)

Bazarchie likes this.
  11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

The harsh truth is that at the end of the day we're producing for the incinerator or land-fill, or with a bit of luck, a flea market. This realisation doesn't stop me taking photographs - colour slides and occasionaly negatives. Some get printed and hung on the wall or used in calendars for friends and family, others get printed in larger formats for exhibitions, from which sometimes even a print gets sold(!).

Lynn

12. I do exactly this, take s many photos and then when reviewing I only show a few, delete accidental shots and keep the rest because you, one day I might need them. I never do though.

I have started deleting any images that are similar which helps reduce the amount but the main thing I need to do is just think before clicking.

13. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

Hi,
    I have a whole lot of pictures that are rarely seen by human eyes. And after several years, I am no longer interested in producing technically proficient images. I am now interested in taking pictures that have atmosphere and say more than the images shows. This is the reason I joined this forum, so that I might join contests or competitions that would spur me on. It's not that I want to win, although that would be nice, but that I need the challenge keep going.
    ..... john

14. JBJB

JBJB Well-Known Member

For me, the process of taking pictures is in many ways more important than the pictures themselves. I find it makes me pay much more attention to where I am and I notice and appreciate things I otherwise would miss. The pictures themselves are almost (but not quite) a side effect, which, if you saw them, you'd agree was just as well - my artistic 'eye' is non-existent.

The thing that really changed what I do with the end results was when I discovered mat board mounting and velcro wall hangers. I now regularly print off some of my 'better' efforts, make mat board mounts with a budget cutter and stick them (unframed) on my study wall. Because of the velcro wall mounts, I can swap around which ones are on display regularly. Because I work mostly from home, this means I can enjoy them regularly and nobody else has to put up with my very poor efforts.

15. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

The harsh truth is that at the end of the day we're producing for the incinerator or land-fill, or with a bit of luck, a flea market.
    Lynn[/QUOTE]
    Ah, the brutal truth.
    .... john

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You may be but I'm just not aiming that high.

17. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Then again, I've just hung up 12 pictures in my favourite cafe. I'll take them down again on April 18.

Lynn

Bazarchie likes this.
  18. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

I do photo-books, one for each year, of my favourite shots.
    nothing like a nicely bound book of your own work and memories. Oh and the there is the annual calender , photos from the last year! :)

19. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Mine are stored on a mirrored external hard drive, by camera, then shooting date plus location or subject matter. Individual images are labelled with subject's names, location if important, possibly with a key word so that Win10's Search facility can find the image or scan quickly. Where necessary, I create additional annotated folders, and copy files to that.
    I don't use Lightroom at all, but do use PS6 for basic editing. My uploader is set to store the image files as READ-only, so after any edit, I do a Save-as, and the original file is always available.
    Files rarely get deleted, as failures are sometimes used as examples of how not to do it; or can indicate whether my super new lens or camera is any better than what I was using a few years ago..

There was a time when I printed to A3, but I ran out of wall space on which to show my masterpieces! (Cough ! !) Getting a better display, has saved me from printing needlessly.

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

A friend of mine, when he realised he was getting close to the 50th anniversary of his time in photography, he decided to choose one image for every year of his photographic life and make four new prints from the negative. 200 prints later, he gave one set to the Royal Photographic Society (he had been a long-term member), one set, I think, were kept for family members, another set for the London Salon or a museum but cannot remember the details, and the other prints - I think from the remaining set or that were extras - were distributed among friends. He also published a book of the fifty images.

Great idea.

Am thinking of following suit. Unfortunately, my significant anniversary would require another equal span just for me to make the decisions on which image to re-print from a given year. In addition, some years have been quite rich in output, others a bit slim and 2015 & 2016 exceedingly so. Despite politicians and the BBC telling me I'm going to live forever, I doubt that I will, so about seven print boxes about a metre high and mostly full to bursting may have to suffice as a legacy.

Yeah.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up in a skip.

Am about to digitise my prints. (Although I said that last year. :rolleyes: And may say it again next year.)