1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you consider as Contemporary Photography?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Catriona, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

The whole wiki page seemed to have been written by a bit of a AA fan boy - the claim that his photographs of Yellowstone and Yosemite helped build political support for their protection is particularly odd as both were made National Parks before he was born.

I certainly don't see him as a contemporary photographer and his true importance in the 'fine art world' is perhaps reflected in the prices his works sell for when compared with his contemporaries like Weston and Steichen.

2. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Contemporary has to include street photography. But, you'll have a hard time getting everyone to agree on just what that is, and what constitutes a good SP shot.
    I think most would say that it's all about catching a moment and maybe having a shot with some narrative. Although, this definition often goes out of the window when a clever juxtapostion is shot. Or a scene with almost intentionally whacky composition and lighting. Or pretty much anything else that's taken on the street. The rules and definitions change all the time. Makes me wonder if they change to suit the folks that change them. Why? Well, some of the so called 'top' street stuff I see online is just plain awful. But, if it's fashionable and follows the new rules then it's cool.
    I guess, as said earlier, the selife certainly has to be included.

3. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

"Fine art photography stands in contrast to representational photograph... which provides a documentary visual account of specific subjects... literally re-presenting objective reality..."

Isn't a "documentary visual account" what camera club judges now call "record shots"?

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Why do some people feel this need to classify things that are for fun and entertainment?

It's a picture innit?

[​IMG]

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

'til it gets entered in a club competition...