1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you consider as Contemporary Photography?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Catriona, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Keith,

Okay. You interpret it your way. I'll stick with the plain English meaning of the words I used.

Cheers,

R.

2. KeithLeslie

KeithLeslie Well-Known Member

Guys
    just been having a dekko at fenris and phantastic abstracts websites. Some iinteresting effects, but I can't say that I'm particularly turned on by them. (Having said that, I did a similar thing with a headlamp to the RollsRoyce headlamp on Phantastic-abstracts. I'll post it, so you can have a look. It's 'Upside down world'.

My daughter is an artist, and her work is sort of like fenris's. Maybe I've seen so much of her work that Fenris's won't excite me....

I go back to my earlier statement: there isn't anything in the art world that is truly original, no matter what it is or who does it. IMHO.

3. KeithLeslie

Right - I've posted Upside down world on the Appraisal thread for your edification and delight.

Now you may feel that phantastic-abstracts has done a better job: this wasn't in my view one of my best images; but it shows what I said - these sorts of things have been done before.

4. Roger Hicks

Dear Keith,

There's some an omitted middle in your argument. Suppose, for example, I take a picture of a grizzled Spanish fisherman mending his nets, a staple of salon photography in the 1950s and early 1960s. Yes: it's been done before. But the mere fact that I do something that has done before does not mean that everything has been done before.

I'm hoping to run a picture in Final Analysis in the next two or three months by a brilliant young photographer called Julie Albarel. It's a photograph: not original, because there have been lots of photographs before. It's a collage: not original, because there have been lots of collages before. But wait until you see it. At what point do we deny originality?

Cheers,

R.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Would not this continuing conversation/discussion/debate, not be better in your own generated thread on inspiration etc? It has little to do with my original question, but a lot to do with your analysis.

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Kate,

You may well be right, but such is the way of the internet. None of us has long term control of the threads we start.

Cheers,

R.

7. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Maloney sent me 10 Fuji films for that shot!

8. KeithLeslie

Well done you! I like reflections of all sorts of things; I plan to do some experimentation with them this winter with my studio set-up. Headlamps and hubcaps are a favourite for a lot of photographers I know though, especially from classic car shows. And also, polished chrome fuel tanks on motorcycles.

There aren't many subjects that haven't been done to death by photographers! But what the Hell does it matter?

9. Trannifan

As the old song has it,"It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it,
    And that's what gets results."

10. KeithLeslie

Yup - which makes my point generally about contemporary photography; very little that is anything like 'original' - and especially in the clubs in my area. (grotty windmills, rotten boats...etc....etc.....no good photographing nice windmills or boats, they have to be ruins):eek:

11. Trannifan

Which why I posted those two links trying to show that there are photographers prepared to venture outside the mainstream and produce something "original".

12. KeithLeslie

Yes, I did get that (not sure about others). Shame about the mainstream, though, eh?;)

13. Trannifan

If 'Mainstream' means pictures of 'grotty windmills', 'rotten boats' etc. etc. then I'll happily stay on the outside looking in.

I've now posted 'Rolls-Royce Reflections' in the exhibition lounge. (At 15 it's no longer 'contemporary' and too old for 'appraisal').

14. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I'll bet this wouldn't win any points in a club competition, nor any space in a gallery, but it does what was wanted of it...

[​IMG]

15. Trannifan

For a competition you're probably right. For a gallery.......there are exhibitions etc. with very strange themes!

16. KeithLeslie

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

surely contemporary photography is what you took today.
    However some one said my work was contemptuous photography

18. Catriona

and fine art is what?

19. KeithLeslie

Traffic wardens' scribbles on their tickets? ;)

Anyway, contemporary used to mean "of this day and age". Not literally "today".

20. Catriona

Thanks Keith.