1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Jacket spud - comfort food extraordinaire!! (especially with baked beans and cheese - for reasons which, I must admit, are unclear to me :confused:).

2. peterba

I thought salad with stew was a convention, in your house? ;) :D

Zou likes this.
  3. peterba

Anyway, here it was some... errrrrm, food (who cares?) and a few glasses of a mediocre (but quaffable) Malbec.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My kind of dinner that I enjoy. Sourdough bread, cream cheese, smoked salmon, avocado and sprinkle of sweet chilli sauce. Glass of wine.

multi square dinner.jpg

Bipolar, John Farrell and peterba like this.
  5. peterba

That's odd, Kate. I didn't notice all that 'other stuff' in your photo - just the glass of wine! ;)

Catriona likes this.
  6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I am eating a lot of rice since the Co-Op last week had an "end of line" offer on boil in the bag rice- 8 portions for 95p and well in date. I got 4 boxes as I am partial to rice and never can cook it right. Co-Op had a reduced to clear packer of chicken stir fry for £1 and some red peppers reduced to clear for 10p so I boiled the rice then threw it, the chicken, two red peppers deseeded and chopped, a chopped red onion, frozen peas I boiled with the rice and some sweet corn in my wok with a little vegetable oil and made a very tasty chicken fried rice

Bipolar and John Farrell like this.
  7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Had a nice salmon quiche - I had seen Nigel Slater make one the day before on TV and thought I'd give it a go.
    Buggered my neck up making it, but it was nice.
    The day before that he had been making cranachan, which I had just finished eating when the TV show came on - well, mine wasn't actually cranachan as I had replaced whisky with vanilla this time, but it was cranachanish:p

Zou and Catriona like this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Think I went there once on my hols, nice wee place. ;)

Catriona and AndyTake2 like this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I remember it well! Just after Marag Dubh isn't it? ;)

Zou likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Had a good fried breakfast there...

Catriona likes this.
  11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Just caramelising some onions for an onion gravy to go with sausage and mash for tonight’s food.

peterba, Zou and Catriona like this.
  12. LesleySM

Can't be asked to cook tonight just a big plate of crackers and Red Leicester and some mango chutney on top if I get hungrier later I have odds and ends to nibble on. I did a rather large fry up for breakfast so not that hungry

13. LesleySM

I have to ask a simple question how do you caramelise onions?

14. peterba

Same here, yesterday evening (veggie sausages, of course ;)), but with the addition of stir-fried and salted kale. And it goes without saying... a glass of red, to accompany.

15. dream_police

@LesleySM
    Onions and a caramac bar melted together in a saucepan.

AndyTake2, DaveM399 and peterba like this.
  16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks as beautiful as it sounds delicious!

Cheated tonight - the fireworks display we were going to was postponed as the field was awash, so instead of having burglars and hotdogs we stopped for a fish supper on the way home.

Catriona likes this.
  17. peterba

Just cook them until soft, then turn the heat down, add salt (and bit more oil, if needed), put a lid on the saucepan, and stir every now and again.

18. peterba

I think I've just gone off caramelised onions. :eek: ;)

dream_police likes this.
  19. dream_police

They eventually caramelise using the natural sugars. I occasionally add a small amount of muscavado sugar.

peterba likes this.
  20. dream_police

Reading lesleys food combos I think it may be normal.:)

peterba likes this.