1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well, Kate - in reality, the soya mince has no real taste, and is just a 'filling'. The flavours are supplied via the stock - which is a vegetable stock, with the addition of some Marmite, some veggie Worcester sauce, a generous splosh of red wine, and a little sherry. (And now I've made myself hungry again!)

Catriona likes this.
  2. peterba

Just to clarify, I was wrong to say that the soya mince is "just a filling". It's true that it has no real taste, but importantly, it does provide nutritional value - in particular, protein.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's quite some time since I've had soya mince, but to my mind it was much like tofu - regularly maligned by people who don't know how to use it.

peterba likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I cannot get on with Tofu. Becky, being vegan uses it a lot. Not for me i'm afraid.

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Me too even when it is cooked by people who know how to use it. Not surprising as I am a carnivore. We had spatchcock poussin for dinner, sounds grand but it was in the reduced section of Waitrose yesterday.

6. peterba

I'm useless at cooking tofu. Fortunately however, SWMBO does a magnificent job of it - when she prepares and cooks it, I like it very much. I really should try to get it right. :oops:

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I hate salmon steak I am not a big fan of fish anyway...well apart from decent cod and chips maybe haddock...Oh and smoked haddock...and tuna,,,,

Dinner tonight was leeks (yes I love leeks), steak pie (see comment on leeks), Jersey Royals (see comment on leeks) and sweetcorn (see comment on leeks)

Zou likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan either but my wife loves it. I have to flake it up and mix in with other things.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Shepherd's pie very nice! Recommend the oxtail soup as stock. Other one made in the freezer for another time of meat ration.

10. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Tonight's meat course - pork fried with onion, tomato and garlic, then simmered in vegetable water, with a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and a pinch of dried herbs.
    IMG_4281.JPG

11. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Omelette with spinach and jolly nice it was. Don

Zou and Catriona like this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Beef massaman again. It was cooking for 2.5 hours. Beef tender as anything. It’ll be even better when we have it again in a day or 2.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Vegetable water does not seem tempting. Vegetable stock is an essential addition to the meat based gravy.
    What's the difference? Merely the description.

14. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

To my mind, "stock" has been concentrated. This was just as it had been poured off the silver beet.

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Grill / Roasted a couple of lamb chops and a tomato with new potato and steamed broccoli, washed down with a glass of red.
    Not done this for too long, will be doing it more often now, forgotten how nice it is to pick up a chop and gnaw it. Just need the horn of mead.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Veg tenpura.

peterba likes this.
  17. peterba

Never tried it. Is it like tempura? :p :D

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes, but without an artificial false translation.

Japanese has an 'n' but no 'm' in written format. The sound of the word tenpura is thought by some (but not all) ears to lie between an 'n' and an 'm' so it was translated into English arguably incorrectly. I was (shock horror) being pedantic in my spelling.

:p

peterba likes this.
  19. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Sounds fishy to me

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Switched to my tablet, which has Japanese language input.

て = te
    ん = n
    ぷ = pu
    ら = ra

I'm pedantic about the spelling, but seeing as the word probably originated in Portuguese there's a likelihood that the 'm' was there in the original word as spoken. Japanese lack of 'm' resulted in the spelling I've given.

peterba likes this.