1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What camera for a wedding?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by InfoH, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Sometimes, it seems to me, people acquire a Nikon anything, and assume the guise of a pro..........

Not a dig at all Nikon users, just hope that people get the gist of my comment.

Dave

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

What that person is forgetting is that some wedding photographers can only get work for say 6-8 months of the year also they might only do 2-3 wedding a month because of the post work needed to produce 'AMAZING' photos that works out to say 36,000 - 72,000 if they are lucky. So a bad year could be lower than 36,000 not very high salary.

The only practice I don't quite agree with is some wedding photographers keeping the files forever and charging £300 for a DVD with copies even say 3+ years later.

I think in the film era of wedding photography you hired a pro because you want to make sure it was recorded in some fashion for your personal history because film could be messed up easily by unloading the film wrong or using the wrong film and settings. Today with digital you can double check even with your mum (sorry no offence to mums :) ) taking the shots ie even the bride and groom can even see it's captured. So now couples expect art done with skill as well.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Quite agree. Those who 'have to start somewhere' mostly fit in that first group. As other posts here testify.

I think those who hire a friend or outright amateur to do the work usually are already familiar with the photographers capabilities or try to find out. If not the responsibility rests entirely with them. Not the photographer.

I would suggest the option of payment by results is often applied early on - or the job is done for free, as the couple are on a low(no) budget.

In an ideal world ... :rolleyes: The growth in wedding courses, and the regular articles in some magazines provide a measure of this where previously there was none. National Weddings {aka Elegante Wedding Photography in its last years} provided this competence check and training in increasing measure over the years. It was a great way to start in the sector.

I am sorry for your loss. And I trust that you have had many more greater joys to overwhelm that particular unhappiness. But it was obviously nothing really to do with camera competence: it was a problem of communication! :eek:

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Cor! You must have a good scanner! My first thought when I saw this was 'They look tall.' And if it helps, the sky doesn't look blown but then ... my monitor IS overdue for a clean ... :eek:

Nice soft light - ideal for wedding photography. Think you are being a bit too picky about this particular one although I find fault with your stance, Phil, the Bride being too square to the camera and rather crushed against you.

... and do I see the tips of your left hand fingers appearing around the Bride's waist {camera right}? :eek: ... Aaaaughhh!

[At least, the Phog got the Groom on the correct side for this important shot ... if I had £100 for every wedding done by a highly paid, top pro, that have basic posing/arrangement mistakes, then I would not be sitting here posting on an AP Forum ... :rolleyes:;)]

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Tell me about it- two friends of mine got married last May, big expensive wedding with all the trimmings, cost her parents a fortune- they seperated in early September

6. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

My brother's second marraige was over before the photos were printed!

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Who did he marry? Sinead O'Connor

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

If you are being paid.

Cash on the day seems a safe option. :D