1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by thewall, Mar 25, 2017.

1. thewall

thewall Member

I have just brought a Pana GX 80 and buy default the aspect is 4:3 after looking at the photos they seem a little square compared to my Canon 550d, there is an option to change to 3:2 would this be beneficial as i only do it for fun not really increased in printing.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You should use the native aspect ratio, because that will use the whole sensor. In post production, you can then crop the image to any aspect you like, as long as your initial composition supports it.

If you shoot in RAW, the aspect ratio is only used to create an initial crop anyway, and you can recover all the rest of the pixels in a RAW processor. So, shoot in the full aspect ratio and crop later.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I often crop to different aspect ratios in post processing according to what suits the picture best. I used to do it free-hand but now I stick to integer ratios as this looks more consistent if I put two similar cropped images together. You are losing a bit of information if you crop to 3:2 in camera but if that is how you always want the results go ahead.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I leave my G3 at the native 4:3 and crop later. These days I do the same with my Lumix compact as well though in the past when I knew I was going to print holiday snaps at 6x4 I did set the aspect to 3:2 as cropping at the taking stage saved time later...

IIRC it also depends on the output format. Check in the manual to be sure but I'm fairly certain the aspect ratio crop only applies to JPG files, if you save in raw format the full 4:3 data is saved and displayed in raw converters like Adobe Cammera Raw - the Silkypix based software that probably came with the camera may apply the crop automatically though.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

As a 35mm/FF and 4/3rds user, when I first encountered this, I initially thought that this looked 'odd' but then realised that the 4/3rds slightly squarer format gave me more image area play around with when producing A4 prints; Having said that, this won't impact on you, if your images are uploaded onto the Internet! The 3:2 aspect ratio, does fit an A4 sheet of paper 'better' than the other ratios available on your camera.

Life is full of compromises, If I'm using 35mm/FF, and want to use the full width of A4, I have to crop off some of the paper because the image being printed, is narrower than the paper; similarly, printing all of a 4/3rds image, means that you are also wasting paper along the other side of the paper!

In the end, I decided to leave the camera set on the sensor's actual aspect ratio and make the most of the extra leeway that this offers me during laying out my prints and images. I've also encountered occasions when I've taken shots and then found that the portion of the image I decided to use, (Paper or Internet-wise) turned out to be different to how I originally 'saw' things when I was taking the shot.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Can't see any point in not using the full resolution and formating it to suit in the computer.

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Most photographers crop to suit the image in PP... they have done so since the year dot.
    I see no point at all, in letting the native aspect ratio of the camera force the issue.

8. Hidexas5

Hidexas5 New Member

Actually, i just do it for fun.