1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your two all-time favorite cameras?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Footloose, May 7, 2019.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Both excellent cameras! I have both - and they're both loaded with film. :)

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Strange, since Hexanon lenses are generally well-regarded. :confused:

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I don't really get attached to cameras but I have to say I did enjoy my street photography with just a Nikon FM3A and a 28mm prime back when I could buy a roll of black & white film for around £1.20! Too expensive to shoot film now, for me at any rate :(

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's as maybe but there were precious few owners in Chester in the 1980s

5. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Firstly, a Praktica LTL3, which, being manual, gave me a good start in understanding in exposure, focusing, depth of field, and so on. Then a Canon AE-1, my first "expensive" camera with a bit of automation.

6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Separated at birth! Those where the first two proper cameras I owned....I don't count the Zenith E! The CANON AE-1 served me well for nearly 20 years and survived quite a few knocks during summers scrambling in the Alps :)

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am not sure i have a favourite camera, I always thought I would keep my OM1 but being unable to buy new battery packs for the motordrive knocked that one on the head. I suppose my favourite film camera would be the Nikon F5, I still have my two some 23 years after buying them, digital would have to be the D4 but if I ever manage to afford a D5...

8. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Film Werra3 with 35, 50,and 100 primes only upgraded to Nikon F because those commissioning me looked askance. Digital my D90; A3+ OK for me.

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I must say it was a toss-up between the Vito II and the Werramatic for me.

S

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, digital-wise it's a piece of cake as I've only ever owned (and still use) a Canon G10 and a Nikon D200.

Film camera wise... actually, surprisingly easy too. Considering I have eighty or so, The Werra's almost crept in, as did the Trip 35s (which have been bolted together as a stereo rig that I've never actually printed a pic from for years now...). But it was genuinely quite simple. First is the Moskva 4 - for the sheer stonkingness of the prints from those big 6x9 neggies.

[​IMG]Moskva 4 front by gray1720, on Flickr

And runner-up is it's much older brother my 1911 Kodak - which doesn't produce quite such stonking negs, not having a coated Tessar clone on the front, but still works beautifully over a century on from it's manufacture.And just looks gorgeous with those red bellows.

[​IMG]Kodak No2 Folding Pocket Brownie by gray1720, on Flickr

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Accepting that I may be a little odd; if your favourite camera isn't the one you use on a regular basis why not?

Following on from that if the camera you use most isn't your favourite, why did you buy it?

12. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Tricky, how do you define favorite... But I am going to go for my late LG G4, exelent camera on that phone, had all the needed adjustments great autofocus an image quality was very good. Sadly it did not like swimming in the ocean, so I had to replace it.

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Because neither the Moskva or the Kodak are really that usable, and bloomin' expensive to get P&P for them - beasides, I think the fun factor would be diluted if I used them more often.

The two I use are tools, rather than for real fun.

Adrian

peterba likes this.
  14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've chosen to restrict my choice to cameras I've owned and used over the last 46 years, which means I have only 4 to choose from.
    So I nominate a Pentax MX 35 mm film SLR I used for 26 years, and my current Pentax K5 DSLR which hopefully will outlast me.
    I've never had the funds, or desire to own the latest soon-to-be-obsolete model.

But I did once borrow a Leica 35 mm film SLR with a 50 mm F 1.2 lens for a weekend ...

15. TheAlex

TheAlex Well-Known Member

If I can't include my current main camera (Canon G1 X Mark III):
    Canon G1 X, which I prefer to the Mark II by far, and continued to use instead of the Mark II, which I should've sold really.
    Canon Powershot G3, which was my first digital camera. It also helped me win a round of APOY. :D