1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by MJB, Feb 16, 2019.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I could find the 'reading' and 'listening to' threads, but not a 'watching' one so here it is. There's a lot of good TV series about now, but scattered across lots of channels and various platforms and it's easy to miss some. Here's your chance to recommend something we may have missed.

I'm currently catching up on 'Das Boot' on Sky Atlantic. Based on the books Das Boot and Die Festung , it's a gritty and dark thriller. It's in German, French and English, so not for you if you struggle with subtitles.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Just about to start the latest season of The Walking Dead. Need to start watching the latest series of Narcos on Netflix. I enjoyed the last couple of series. Looking forward to the next one of Better Call Saul, although not sure when that is due to return.

Sarah is working her way through Benidorm on Netflix and I drop in and out of that. Some of that is very funny. Seeing Les singing Lady Gaga in The Neptune was classic.

Das Boot is on my list.

3. dream_police

just wait for the usual I don’t have a TV, refuse to have Sky, Netflix, Amazon, TV was better when there was just one channel in B&W brigade.

Geren, saxacat, AlanW and 1 other person like this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

All perfectly good opinions. ;)

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I refuse to pay the TV tax, but I get my money's worth out of Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon Prime.

Will report back when I remember what I'm watching... :confused:

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Mostly watching YouTube actually. Loads of freestyle/street BMX, other cycling stuff (looking forward to the Cape Epic very soon) and Serie A footy highlights. On Amazon Prime only watching the Grand Tour - was watching Outlander but every so often we get bored of it and take a break. Netflix is our main watch, going through various thing such as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Doctor Who, Suits, Still Game, and whatever films catch our eye. Recently started watching a French light drama (borderline comedy) called Call My Agent. My wife gets in an extraordinary amount of Korean dramas, that alone gets the money's worth.

7. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Currently enjoying the latest Star Trek incarnation 'Star Trek Discovery' on Netflix. Also on Netflix, I unfortunately binged on the latest series of Grace and Frankie so have a long wait for new episodes. On Terrestrial, only Endeavour is of interest for me at the moment; hoping its not too long till the next series of Montalbano though.

Oh and some of the stuff on Freeview 081 'Talking Pictures TV' Stuff like 'Gideon' fom back when there were only 2 B&W channels and TV was what it was meant to be :rolleyes::rolleyes::)

8. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Most of the Scandic Noir (& Montalbano) wherever it happens to be, currently watching Bordertown (Series 2) on Netflix. Will watch Shetland (BBC1) over a couple of nights once I've recorded the whole series rather than one episode at a time over 6 weeks! Apart from that it's just the odd film on Netflix/Amazon Prime and any arty/historical/documentary that takes my fancy, usually on BBC2, BBC4, Channel4 or Youtube. I don't think I watch anything on terrestrial as its being broadcast, except for live rugby or football! Saying all that, I rarely watch any television before 9-ish, too busy with other stuff!

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Approaching half way through the Umbrella Academy. Still not entirely sure what's going on but it's just about compelling enough to keep watching.

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The original book is excellent (I've read it in translation), and the original German TV series was excellent too. There was a cinema version edited from the TV episodes. Look for the 200 minute 'directors's cut' 'widescreen' version on DVD, which also has a great 5.1 soundtrack on the German dialogue soundtrack (which is the one to use because the dubbed 'English' version is abysmal).

The new version on Sky appears (if I understand the Radio Times correctly) to have incorporated some parts of 'Die Festung' and also added lots of subplots for no apparent reason apart from attracting viewer in the USA. If it ever comes to Freeview I'll try it.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Have you found Hans Ray's channel on YouTube?

One of my childhood heroes but hardly anyone seems to know who he is these days. Lots of classic videos and rummaging about in his garage looking at old parts and talking about how things have developed over the years.....Ahh, the memories!

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not watched those but they've been promoted. Quite the star back in the day, and still got some moves.

daft_biker likes this.
  13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Have you watched Paradise PD on Netflix?

Might test what you thought you would laugh at!

14. dream_police

No not seen it. I shall take a look.

daft_biker likes this.
  15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My current guilty pleasure is Dr. Pimple Popper on YouTube. Weirdly compelling viewing.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

That like the blackhead king?:oops:

17. dream_police

Finished watching Narcos Mexico. Worth a watch.

18. dream_police

Curfew on Sky One. Entertaining enough I guess. It is a shame they didn’t spend some of the budget on putting Sean Bean through acting lessons.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Harsh - but fair... :p

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Often wondered why his name isn't pronounced 'seen bean' or 'shorn born'...