1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Hotblack, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"Ringworld" for the umpteenth time + Henning Mankell's "the 5th Woman" + "I Shall Wear Midnight" + "Our Kind of Traitor" (hoping finally to get past page 50). I like to keep several books on the go.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I don't know how you can read several books at once. Unless the book is crap, I like to read that one only whenever I can, swapping between books would be awful. Talking of which, I hate not finishing a book even if it is crap, but a few books ago it really was that bad I had to leave it at 75%, I really couldn't take anymore. Perhaps I need to be less tight and actually buy more kindle books than get the free ones!

In fact, here is my amazon review. Perhaps I was too cruel.

The plus side is that this book was almost free. The downside is I wasted some of my life reading it. It could have been worse though, I could've wasted more of my life by reaching the end. I didn't, I stopped at 75%. I meant to stop a lot earlier but I hate doing that. I like finishing books but this was like pulling teeth. It is so badly written. It is padded out to make it longer like a real book as opposed to a GCSE English project which would be shorter (and probably better). The conversation in the book between the main characters is so amateur it is untrue.
    I really do not recommend downloading this. Find something better to do with your time. Try waterboarding instead. In fact this could be recommended to President Trump as an alternative to the more frowned upon torture methods. Give them this to read and they'll soon give in!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's the way my mind works. I usually have several factual books on the go at once as well. Current top of that pile is M.I.Finley's "The Ancient Economy".

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I have just short of 1000 books on my Kindle Touch, all free and all non-fiction. :)

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

How many have you read to the end?

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Four days in hospital = lots of books read, including lots of Harry Harrison: 8x Stainless Steel Rat, 2x Deathworld.

Cheers,

R.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Are they worth any more than you paid for them?

Currently re-reading Ha-Joon Chang's 23 things they don't tell you about capitalism.

Cheers,

R.

8. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Currently reading White Fang on my Kindle,as part of the complete works of Jack London.

I wish I`d discovered his work years ago.He wrote very compelling books.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Booker prizewinner Penelope Fitzgerald.
    The Gate of Angels - read it. Like looking through someone's diary in a way. I couldn't get into the characters, but I quite enjoyed the setting and story's gentle travel.

The Bookshop and Offshore, downloaded and ready to start reading.

Glutton for punishment, me.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Just finished reading all three of the Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) Cormoran Strike novels which weren’t half bad. Now reading a couple of non fiction books about photography as therapy and a 99p kindle book that I sent to have been reading forever but which hasn’t progressed beyond the first scene. Can’t remember what it’s called and probably won’t finish it.

RogerMac likes this.
  11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Plus one from me and I am awaiting the fourth, must remember to start it with a note book handy as they are very dense with information.

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Second that. I am looking forward to reading the fourth more critically to see if I can't pick up on the clues that are laid out for us and which you only really remember later!

RogerMac likes this.
  13. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I haven't read the books but did enjoy the TV series so will probably read them at some point. I read her first non-Potter novel 'The Casual Vacancy' and thought it was very entertaining.

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people with her fantastical wealth keep their nose to the grindstone and keep on writing like her. But then there are no other writers anywhere near as wealthy as her.

what I find strange is that she looks better looking , healthier and more relaxed these days. than she did only a few years ago.

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The Phantom Tree by Nicola Cornick.
    Interesting, historical.

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Just downloaded this onto my Kindle and I think it will be next after the dull one finally gets too mcuh for me.

17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just read Runaway Girl about the Artist Louise Bourgeous and I am eagerly awaiting A Native Breed. Starting a Lake District hill farm by a lady who I converse with on Twitter
    Don

Geren and Catriona like this.
  18. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

"The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon. Paperback - £1 in the local charity shop.

"Far from the madding crowd" by Thomas Hardy - on Kindle.

19. John Worsnop

John Worsnop In the Stop Bath

The Prelude
    Echo Burning
    Practical Photography
    Prisoners of Geography
    The Flame Bearer

20. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Just bought the new Asterix.......Asterix in Italy.

Lynn