1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Hotblack, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Invisible republic- Bob Dylan's basement tapes by Greil Marcus

Lynn

2. Lensalou

Lensalou Member

The Goldfinch. Been recommended by lots of people so trying to get into it.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am about half way through the Lord Peter Wimsey canon. I read them first nearly 60 years ago and stumbled on one recently so have stocked up on my Kindle. I have a couple in paperback but the paper is deteriorating so that I prefer them on Kindle

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Until the Modern-day Fortune Teller's handbook arrives in the post, I'm reduced to reading tea leaves.

5. PhotoRobin

PhotoRobin Member

I am currently reading Lolita by Nabokov.

6. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

The short stories of H.P.Lovecraft are currently on my Kindle.There`s some really good stuff.

I`d not known that Lovecraft wrote in the early 20th century.I thought they were much more recent.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The older ones among us will remember the Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy Sayers in which Lord Peter solves various impossible crimes usually accompanied by his faithful retainer, Bunter, who is a keen photographer and does the scene of crime imaging

Dorothy Sayers died some years ago and I thought I had read the all the stories but browsing Amazon recently I found an additional four where Jill Paton Walsh has picked up the franchise, starting with an unfinished one. The last one ("The Late Scholar") finds Bunter in 1953 the proud possessor of a Leica 3f helping distinguish different inks on a pre-conquest manuscript by minute variations in darkness that are not visible to the naked eye.

Well worth a read if you like detective stories.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

The New West - Robert Adams

Lots of pictures, not many words.

(Well, I'm more of a drummer than a guitarist!)

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

War Brides by Helen Bryan.
    Not mushy, I'm glad to say.

I'm in two minds about starting The Evermen Saga books by James Maxwell. Anyone read them?

10. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

a brief history of time - steven hawking

11. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

then follow it with Stephen Hawking`s The Universe in a Nutshell.It won`t disappoint.I have both on my bookshelf.

12. Catriona

I have just finished all four of Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan Friendship series.
    Am I too old? Were there irritations stopping me enjoying them because the cynicism of my years kicked in?
    In a way I could empathise with both characters, but perhaps Lina (Lila) more so. Yes, that was it. I was on Lina's side not Elena's (who narrated/wrote it). Anyway, I finished those four books with a feeling of being lost in a forest and not knowing which way to go.
    Do I recommend them? I think they are books you will one day read (or not) and maybe wonder why. They tell of a Naples which is how I remember it. Chaotic, violent and passionate. A real love/hate place.

13. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Very bleak. He could do with using one or two more commas.

14. Catriona

Is it a very very long road? A bit like my old deeds - one page per sentence? Oh dear.

15. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Quite the opposite actually. The book is written in very short sections so can be read quite quickly. The trouble is it's written in a modern American style where they are a bit free and easy with punctuation. there have been one or two sentences which have confused me because they lack a comma and I've had to re-read them to understand what is meant.

16. Catriona

Ah! I understand.
    I am very much influenced by the beat, or metre of the flow of the words. I am someone who gets irritated to the point of grinding my teeth with some people's speech - and I'm the same with words on a page. They have to flow like a river for me.

peterba likes this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

You are presumably familiar with This is the metre Columbian.

Cheers,

R.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

No, I was not familiar with that. Thank you!

19. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I'm similarly 'afflicted', which makes a chore of some reading. :( It isn't a question of 'right or wrong' for me - it's simply about how one reacts to the style of writing.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Catriona likes this.
  20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I am a fan of Dean Koontz. If there are any of you that like his stuff and fancy reading his latest "Ashley Bell" may I recommend that you do not. What a pile of crap. Can't believe I wasted all that time reading it. Quite early on I realised it was no good but felt obliged to finish it. I always do that though. Very rarely give up on a book, certainly if it's from an author I like.