1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Hotblack, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Current reading material is this month's Word magazine and
    Charles Dickens - The Old Curiosity Shop.

2. quietangel

quietangel Well-Known Member

just finished 'Personally I blame my Fairy Godmother' by Claudia Carroll and will be re-reading 'Confessions of a Demented Housewife' by Naimh Greene.

we bit escapism for me :D

3. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

"The Victors" by Stephen Ambrose, all about D-Day and the subsequent defeat of Germany.

Toodle pip! Andrew

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Not a fiction person. Yesterday on the tube coming back to St Pancras I was "reading" a photobook being looked at by a young woman further down the carriage, and trying to work out who the photographer was; eventually I decided it looked like Bruce Davidson and was quite chuffed with myself when it turned out to be his book "Brooklyn Gang".

Presumably the lady (and her friend) must have been photo students and had been lent the book as it now changes hands for several hundred Pounds a time - hope they take good care of it! ;)

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

By pure coincidence I was reading a copy of that a couple of weeks ago at a friends house, he has a signed copy!

6. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

It's invariably non fiction that I read too ...
    Reading 2, gradually 'wading' through that monster of a book, 'MI6 - History of Intelligence Service, 1909-49', it's a bit heavy going, yet intriguing. Might finish it by Christmas!

Also, 'No greater Ally' by K.K Koskodan, which is an amazing eye-opener about the Polish Forces huge involvement in defeating the Nazis, and the shameful way Churchill and Roosevelt subsequently treated their Nation. I haven't any Polish 'blood', but would still say they were as dedicated and tough as the Gurkhas.

7. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit, but the graphic novel version, illustrated by David Wenzel. I am a total LOTR groupie and read anything and everything remotely related to it.

8. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Gettin' jealous now! I've got a copy of East 100th Street, but would love to add the Brooklyn book to my shelves.

9. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

For the first time since I was in grammar school,Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.
    His command of descriptive language is,for me,unsurpassed.
    Thoroughly absorbing.Prior to that,Labrynth(SP?) by Kate Mosse.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The QI Book of the Dead.

11. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Non-fiction for me too: Getting High: The Adventures Of Oasis by Paolo Hewitt. I saw this in a charity shop in Covent Garden while I was doing a shoot there last week, rather fortuitously as I wanted a copy and I think it's out of print. I was at college with the author and try to read his stuff when I can, although he obviously won't cop any royalties this time.

Also reading, courtesy of OTC in Borehamwood who sell a hard copy, the instructions for my recently-purchased Canon G11. Never thought a compact would have a manual stretching to 192 pages, but it is a very capable camera.

12. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Three Books of Occult Philosophy - Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa von Nettesheim :rolleyes:

13. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

I have just finished reading:

Ian Rankin's The Complaints - sorry, but I didn't get into his writing at all
    Harlan Coben's Play Dead - it was his first novel that has just been dug out, not inspiring
    Peter Robinson's DCI Banks Aftermath - I like his style of writing
    Jean-Christophe Grangé - two books in German, fab writer
    Jo Nesbo's The Snowman - loved it

14. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

just finished snowman, excellent

15. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

Mission Earth book 5 [of 10] by L Ron Hubbard, from a time when I didn't know about religious beliefs, and just appreciated a pulp sci-fi tale.

16. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

whilst in Oxford today, discovered and am reading a copy of the script (with drawings) of the BBC's rather bizarre radio play, broadcast on October the 6th 1939, called 'Adolf in Blunderland'.

This was a political parody (propaganda) based on Lewis Carroll's famous story. To put this in some kind of context, Britain & France declared War on Germany, the 3rd of September 1939.

17. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson on the fiction front, and Confessions Of A GP/Blood, Sweat and Tea by a couple of NHS bloggers. Good stuff.

18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Just finished 'The grand design' (Stephen Hawking)
    Just started 'Cycles of time' (Roger Penrose)
    Just ordered 'The road to reality' (Roger Penrose)

19. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

My Ricoh CX1 manual goes to 240 pages.It seems to be the exception today,to have anything other than a very basic manual.Full marks to those makers who buck the trend,as it were.

20. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

Now I get the "Hub of the Universe" location. :cool: