1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are Pentax best lenses?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Atavar, Mar 15, 2014.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Couple of F 28s on ebay at present...one is £195 and t'other is a little more...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENTAX-F-SMC-28mm-f2-8-AUTOFOCUS-LENS-FOR-DIGITAL-FILM-CAMERA-/281272399709?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item417d24375d

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Many thanks for sharing your experience :)

Having a bit of a read into it, the only comment about a fix for the motor issue is on Pentax Forum where someone mentions:

"
    To be fair, Pentax claims to have finally resolved the AF failure problems due to the SDM motor, which also inadvertently admits there was a problem beyond the statistical assembly and cumulative tolerance errors for which a warranty is supposed to cover!!! So in theory, recently manufactured or repaired lenses are supposed to last longer without SDM failure. That said, I can only make my recommendation for this lens based on my experience with what I'll call the "older version SDM motor" if you can buy it at the right price since the optical quality of this lens is great in spite of the flawed SDM only motor for the auto focus."
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-17-70mm-F4-SDM-Zoom-Lens.html

I have seen the samples on that site and it looks like a formidable lens. the unit you get would have to be brand new built 2013 or after, and it'd be the first time I recommend this, but taking out an extended warranty on it just in case would be a wise move too ;)

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I've certainly found the SDM motor in my 16-50/2.8 DA* to be significantly more reliable since I got it repaired a couple of years ago by Asahi Photo in Brentford "with the latest parts". Previously, it had twice been "repaired" under warranty by Pentax, only to fail again a few months later.

I don't know if the 17-70/4 uses exactly the same SDM motor as the 16-50, but I imagine there are some similarities in design, so hopefully the original design fault is now sorted. I must say that I personally am still a bit wary of Pentax's SDM, and I would look at Sigma's HSM if I needed fast, quiet focus) although not entirely ruling Pentax's own SDM lenses out, as I did for a few years).

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I also wonder if the 17-70 is genuinely made by Pentax, or is a case of a badge engineering job from a third party, such as Tam run run a do run run? :eek: I do not know, but cross fertilisation occurs in many industries, such as the Motor trade for example. One never can be quite sure what one is getting. Then again, does it matter if it works OK?

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly some of the other lenses have been Tamrons in the past, and even a Cosina (the old 100mm f3.5 Macro) - when they've not been good they've at least been pretty cheap. If Leica can sell rebadged lenses, why can't Pentax?

6. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

A topic I was just thinking about, funnily enough. I don't expect Pentax will ever tell us, either way, but there are rumours about two current lenses in particular: the 16-50 f2.8, which some say is a Tokina, and the 18-270 f3.5-6.3, which does bear a remarkable similarity to its Tamron equivalent, except for costing twice as much. And one other difference: it's had much better reviews for sharpness than the Tamron.

Which maybe suggests where the truth is: genuine Pentax glass in a superstructure made by third parties?

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Or more careful attention to assembly and quality control?

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Far more likely - the glass won't be different, the coatings might be.

9. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Having now done a bit of digging around, I think this is the most likely conclusion. I recalled the mid to late 90s - 1996, I now know - and similar discussions around the first Pentax superzoom, a 28-200 f3.8-5.6 AF. At that time the superzoom was more a third party concept even though they'd been around since the mid 80s and the major camera makers entered the fray somewhat gingerly at first, aware of the performance issues involved. The Pentax had a look of Tamron about it, only reinforced when some of the reviews noted under test bench conditions that they both in fact zoomed out only as far as 180mm!

At the time Pentax had 3 different 28-105 lenses too, one of which, again, had the Tamron look.

Consulting my draw full of old reviews I find this was the consensus at the time on both lenses: "designed (and possibly produced) by Tamron but with genuine Pentax electonics and Pentax SMC coating."

10. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Ahh, very interesting. From what I have been able to research into this, Pentax have recently been partners with Tokina producing designs in collaboration...?

11. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

There are several lenses with Tokina and Pentax variants that are the same optical formula, eg: 12-24, 16-50, 50-135.

I think the general consensus is that the Pentax variants are superior optically, which has to be down to the coating. I should hope so as they are a lot more expensive. The Tokina variants don't come in K mount so direct comparisons are few.

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Don't forget the DA35/2.8 Macro and the DA10-17 FE :)

Jack

13. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I'm a bit naffed about the Pentax 17-70 and the problems with it hunting and the motor being suspect. It is a most useful range, but having looked long and hard at the results from my Siggy, I am beginning to wonder why I need bother. It really is a pretty OK lens. Better at F/8 than 2.8, but that is to be expected. F/5.6 seems to be the best setting. Considering the cost of lenses now, I will stick with it.

Still cannot help looking sideways at the Nikon full frame line up. Even the D610 looks attractive. If only we had a fly on the wall view of the Pentax think tank....will they or won't they?

14. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

A 70-200 appearing on the roadmap and upgrading the FA Ltds to the new coatings suggests to me that they will.

I look at the Nikon full frame lineup too, but the prospect of a more compact Pentax ff system will keep me hanging on for a while yet.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

IIRC Hoya/Tokina actually had a large stake in, or even owned Pentax at one stage.

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi David,

FWIW, Pentax … err, Ricoh, albeit probably only Canada, are having a big conference/meeting here in Vancouver, this week and, even though, I wasn't
    invited, I know a few of the upper and middle crust and could ask them if a FF is in the plans?

And, IMHO and purely hypothesizing , I don't think a Pentax Full-Frame DSLR will be coming about within my lifetime :) Heck, when I get my next passport, I don't know if I'll even apply for the 10 year version :eek:

Re: Nikon 610, one of the few Nikon bodies involved in the Nikon (Canada, so far) price increase which came into effective April 1st, 2014 ……. and, no it wasn't an April Fools Joke :) Other bodies were the Df, D610 and the D7100 and a lot of lenses.

Cheers,

Jack

17. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Aha, i knew Hoya had owned them but hadn't been aware of Tokinas stake in the company. Makes a lot of sense.

18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Hoya and Tokina are one and the same! The Kenko brand is in there as well.

19. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Blimey, shows what I know doesn't it? Cheers for the info :)

20. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Or, at least, IIRC, Tokina and Kenko are wholly owned subsidiaries of Hoya, as was Pentax until they sold them to Ricoh a year or so ago.