1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wet Plate Collodion Workshop in Camden...

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by JasonKillbourn, Oct 8, 2015.

1. JasonKillbourn

JasonKillbourn New Member

Hello there, this is my first posting, but I figured this was one of the biggest and busiest forums, and wondered if anyone on here is interested in exploring wet plate photography? I have been running a little free workshop on a Sunday afternoon at an arts centre in Camden, and the people who run the venue, who are supporters of my project ("The Abolitionists") are now letting me have a corner of it for free every Friday evening.
    I should explain, that I build my own large format wet plate cameras out of 100% recycled materials, and can show people how to build a camera out of rubbish that takes some of the highest resolution images imaginable (when the raw chemicals involved are in a good mood that is!), simply because the ISO is approximately 2 to 5 and the glass plate negatives I shoot are up to 10" x 8". My favourite lens at the moment is from an old overhead projector and is surprisingly fast with rather good optics. Anyway, I'll post a couple of scans from recent shoots. Do let me know if any of you are interested?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tranzformation

tranzformation New Member

Hi Jason,

I am currently researching the wetplate process but unfortunately I live too far away in Leeds, otherwise I would come to your classes every week. Please could you let me know how you learnt the process of wetplate and building your own cameras? I am thinking about purchasing this book Primitive Photography: A Guide to Making Cameras, Lenses, and Calotypes by Alan Greene.

P.S. I can't see the scans that you have posted

Thanks

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I missed that post first time out, and I'd like to see more too!

Adrian