1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West coast of Scotland

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by kt2, Jul 6, 2008.

1. kt2

kt2 Well-Known Member

Any must see places? Open to suggestions on photographic locations, good places to eat etc. Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Kt

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Elgol (on Skye), looking across to the Cuillins. Don't forget the midges...

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There's Skye, Skye, Skye, bits north of Skye, Skye itself, and bits lower than Skye. Don't forget Skye, either.

:D

Seriously though, it's a long coast - care to narrow it down?

4. Malcolm_Stewart

I did.

Elgol, looking across at the Cuillins. That's pretty specific - place, and direction in one short sentence.

5. kt2

kt2 Well-Known Member

No definite route planned, so was just really going to head for where there was a cluster of suggestions.

Kt

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

There's high up bits of Skye too :D

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Skye almost goes without saying, but there are places all along the West Coast. "Where you like, they are nice" as the old market cry in Leeds used to go.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

And when at Elgol you can take a few steps to the right and take a pic of the honeycombe formations in the cliff :cool:

Then there's the boat trips(s) from Elgol....the Loch Cuirusk one in particular : see here. I'd certainly reccomend it....quite possibly the most beatiful place in Scotland....although the glens either side of it could be contenders too....

If you walk South from Elgol there a load of marshes and rock formations with a few seacaves thrown in for good measure...pics to be had there too.

If you walk North(ish) from Elgol there's a cliff top trail with a river crossing called the bad step which takes you into the middle of the hills (there's an easier path from the other side of the hills starting at Sligachan).

Aye, Elgol is not bad :D

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Sounds as though you've been there fairly recently?
    Are strangers welcome now? They certainly weren't when I visited back in 1970, but then I sensed we weren't wanted anywhere off the main tourist track. (So I took the hint.)

10. Mikerocks

Mikerocks Well-Known Member

If you are heading to the far north the landscapes of Assynt are breathtaking. If you like BIG mountains that emerge from the sea, Torridon is worth a visit as well.

As for good pubs, take the ferry from Mallaig to the Old Forge at Inverie. Good food, beer and an awesome view.

Mike

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Has been a couple of years since I was last there but have a trip in the pipeline for this year....hopefully if the lad's Mrs let them out! Have had my bike up there a few times (2 trips with a compact and 2 trips with a SLR.....looking forward to going back with a DSLR :D ).

Strangers would appear to be very welcome these days.....wonder if that barmaid in Broadford is still there ;)

12. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

^WHS^

And the road north from Ullapool to Cape Wrath is (IMHO) the most spectacular in the country, absoultely chock full of stunning scenery.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I believe your opinion to be spot on sir. (But only if you continue along as far as Tongue) :D

14. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Well it starts about Gretna.....and ends about Muckle Flugga and as long as you miss out Port Glasgow you cant go wrong!
    Do you want to island hop? Check out the calMac web site for Island hopscotch tickets (great value for touring). I'm going to say Arran....big island, Scotland in minature. The coast from Lochgilphead north to Oban for sheltered sealochs and woodlands. Ardnamurchan...because its there. Mull..because its there. Applecross to Inverewe...getting big! Inverpolly huge scale!

Graeme

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Oh I dunno - Newark Castle is actually worth visiting Port Glasgow for. Aside from that, I can't argue with anything you said.

16. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I must confess that I have driven past that place hundreds of times and never once stoped for a look around!

Graeme

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well the key point about driving through Port Glasgow is generally to keep driving, so I understand. :D

It's actually quite a nice wee castle.

18. kt2

kt2 Well-Known Member

Just like to say thanks for all the suggestions, it really is much appreciated.

Definitely give Skye a visit.

Just hope I pick a few good days weather wise.

Kt

19. PeatSmoke

PeatSmoke Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you leave Skye until the quieter months and there's a much better atmosphere too!

Why not try Torridon and Assynt on the mainland, or you could try Lewis, Harris, the Uists, Eriskay and Barra. But then, of course, I'm biassed......

20. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Skye is a beautiful place, not too keen on the roads though.. One pothole took a chunk out of my sump which then leaked oil all over the place (left a nice puddle outside Eileen Donan Castle) Other than that I can really recommend it - and a trip to Tallisker is recommended :D.

Mull is also a nice place to visit - lots of wildlife to see and coast land to photograph. As well as Iona at the bottom end.