1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well this has gone well-not

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Jun 21, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

so this altitude business has not agreed with me. Had to get a doctor to see me and they are concerned I may have a HAPE, a pulmonary edema. Now got to go to the clinic for X Rays. They have given me medication and an injection but my O2 levels are still to low.

What a fecking disaster!

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well best wishes, Nige.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this Nige. I hope they can sort this out very quickly. Thinking of you.

dream_police likes this.
  4. Catriona

Can someone get you to a lower altitude - medical treatment?

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Lose altitude PDQ is the immediate response to suspected HAPE by mountaineers. If that is not possible the use of oxygen and drugs may prevent death. Uncontrolled HAPE is fatal.
    People who descend to their normal altitude quickly suffer no long term effects. There is a strong possibility of recurrence if they try to go to high altitude again.
    I hope that you are on the way down by now, and that also the doctor's suspicion was wrong.

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But where are you, I still don't know?

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Peru.

RovingMike likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hopefully it'll respond to lower altitude and treatment. Keep off the sours.

dream_police likes this.
  9. Catriona

Cusco, I think at present. 3,399m elevation. 11,152ft.

10. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Bloody Hell Nige! That sounds awful - get yourself to a lower altitude (a beach where they serve drinks in coconuts with little umbrellas in them sounds good) and I hope you're better soon.

Cheers, Jeff

dream_police and Learning like this.
  11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Sounds grim Nige. I hope all goes well for you soon.

dream_police likes this.
  12. Catriona

13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Hope you're okay Nige, HAPE (I just looked it up) can be more than nasty

dream_police likes this.
  14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Good luck Nige.

Get to sea level ASAP.

S

dream_police likes this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Come Home Nige all is forgiven

dream_police likes this.
  16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Steady on, not too sure about that.

S

LesleySM, MJB, daft_biker and 3 others like this.
  17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Crikey - do take care and lose altitude as soon as you can do I guess? Look forward to happier updates!

dream_police likes this.
  18. dream_police

Well folks just got back from the Medical Centre. This morning the on call doctor listened to my chest and was concerned. It really was rattling and bubbling. I had tablets and 2 injections.
    Saw a Dr in the centre and I had a full check over. He said that the medication I had this morning had taken effect and he wasn’t concerned about it being HAPE. I am in Puno at the moment which is quite dry and he said that what I had was not uncommon but obviously it needed checking. I had a nebuliser at the centre and a prescription for 2 lots of tablets for 3 days. He has advised against flying at the moment. Luckily we are catching a train tomorrow to Cusco, which is a fair bit lower and is also more humid he told me, so at this stage I live to see another day.
    I feel considerably better now that I have been medicated and the chest rattle, wheeze and bubble type breathing has gone.

I have been confined to my room so wife and daughter off onto Lake Titicaca this afternoon on a private tour.
    Luckily the tour operator here was on hand to translate for me at the doctors.

All the above cost just over £80, will hardly be worth putting a claim in, although I let my insurance company know first thing in case it all went wrong for me!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  19. dream_police

The good side though, this the view from my window. I was awake from 4 am this morning and saw the sunrise but felt too shit to get out of bed and take ANBSR.

[​IMG]BBBF6F97-4A96-4DEC-89D0-318CDB506162 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    EightBitTony, Geren, DaveM399 and 4 others like this.
  20. Catriona

Well that's good news Nige. You gave us quite a wobble!!! Take care now and rest.

PS Cusco is still high! Over 11,000ft.

Learning and dream_police like this.