1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well Done Zou

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishboy, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Latest AP. Final Analysis. Mr Hicks - giving his opinion of one of Zou's photographs!

Zou san - your work has often left me deeply impressed, so I'd like to congratulate you on achieving something special - you're alongside some of the greats of photography now...I hope you won't consider yourself too important to mix with the rest of us mere mortals from now on!

Well done sir.

Cheers, Jeff

Catriona, Geren, Zou and 1 other person like this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ooh, thanks very much. :)

Must get hold of a copy for posterity!

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Nice one. I may also have to go out and buy a copy!

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

No need for that; just stand in everyone's way in Smiths*, reading it. Like people seem to at our branch! :mad:

* other newsagents are available. But they probably get their stock from Smiths anyway...

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It is certainly worth looking at the full set on flickr. As much as I like Roger's choice I prefer others better. The more simple graphic architectural shots and the Scottish landscapes are both in different ways especially very beautiful.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

While there is a branch of WHSmiths in town, I've never seen it busy enough that my standing there reading the magazine stock would put me in anyone's way. Every time I go in, I'm forced to wonder how much longer it will be there. I find myself frustrated by the stock - they never seem to have what I'm looking for (chinagraph pencil? No. Large bulldog clips? No. Particular brand of cheapish biros that suit my handwriting? No. Had to Amazon the lot.) And they're expensive, and there are fewer and fewer staff around to ask for help.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Consider, though, that part of the idea of the column is to introduce people to photographers as well as photographs.

Another part of its point is to discuss exactly how a particular picture can teach us/inspire us. It's generally easiest (and therefore best) to relate this to something that speaks to me personally, rather than to try to guess what someone else would prefer.

Perhaps Zou would be kind enough to post the picture in question on this thread. Even if it doesn't lead to a surge in people reading the magazine, it might at least lead to a surge in the number of people blocking the aisles in W.H. Smith's...

I don't want to use too many pictures by readers or forum members, because that turns the column into yet another AP competition with just one judge: me. Not a good idea. On the other hand, I like to use pictures from as wide a range of sources as possible: books, picture agencies, exhibitions... I normally choose only pictures that I, personally, like. On the one hand that makes it easier to analyze why I like them, and to be enthusiastic; and enthusiasm is what it's about. On the other hand it would be silly to choose pictures I don't like, and slag them off, because after a few such column, few people would be foolish enough to give me permission to use their pictures.

Cheers,

R.

willie45 likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

willie45, daft_biker and Catriona like this.
  9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Thanks

Cheers,

R.

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Just got around to reading this week's mag.

Lovely stuff, Zou.

S

11. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The link between "posterity" and "posterior" being......?

Seriously, though, well done.

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's really disturbing - how did you do it?

Adrian