1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedding Warning

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by BrianWall, Apr 21, 2012.

1. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

There is a story in Saturday's Times that should serve as a salutary lesson to anyone thinking that moving into wedding photography is a good idea! The article exposes a wedding photographer who made a dog's dinner of it and subsequently went bust.

2. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

To a certain extent this is a "pay peanuts, hire monkeys" situation is it not? £750 must be at the very low end of wedding photo services
  3. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Actually Phil I think £750 is the bottom of the middle.

Someone posted a similar link on Facebook and I commented there that the couple have to take responsibility for not doing their research.

I also wondered whether the Daily Mail which was linked to had paid the going rate to the photographers for use of their pictures. If so, at least the photographers could refund the not-so-happy couple. Somehow I doubt it.
  4. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Crikey!!! So the "wedding warning" here is: Don't bother trying to make a living off wedding photography :p
  5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

If you can do 5 a week, £750 x 5 x 50 is somewhere round about 6 times median wage. Of course there are expenses to take out of the income, but it doesn't look that bad a living to me.

I couldn't stand the stress anyway.
  7. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

But given that most people get married at the weekend, during the spring/summer...... and each wedding would take, what, 4 days editing after.

so maybe 30 weekends available, lets assume you have one shoot each that's only £22.5k a year revenue for your business - minus tax & expenses & capital outlay..... that's breadline stuff i reckon.
  8. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

And pre-wedding visits to the couple and the venue also take up time. Unless you pass the images to someone else for retouching, then wedding photography just isn't something you can do daily.

Someone posted this on another forum, which brilliantly sums up why these weekend wedding w****rs continue to exist.
    I think I used enough asterisks for the word "warriors".
  9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Bloody hell - how quick are you with photoshop??
    Weddings are priced above the £1k mark not because of the time spent on the shoot, but the pre and post shoot work. If you're a one-manband, one wedding a week is ample work, as it averages around 3-4 days real work.
    £750 for a wedding, they got what they paid for I think.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

5% of the wedding cost? Cheapskates got what they deserved... ;)
  11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

In the highly unlikely event I got married (Dave proposed 34 years ago and we never got round to it) it would be a simple affair but if I'd like decent photos I'd be bloody fussy about the photographer and I'd want good results. Equally I'd accept I'd be looking at at least 1.5 grand to get a pro and a good result
  12. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

They are pretty bad. :(

The group shot possibly might be fixed with a crop.

But the rest my goodness. :eek:

I've seen better wedding shots from a guest's compact camera. :rolleyes:

To me it looks like someone who has picked up a camera that day, fresh from the shop. :p
  13. LesleySM

I could do better than that!
  14. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Well, I clicked on the link, thinking 'they can't be that bad...' as they say in digital comms circles....OMG!!!
    Words fail me. I realise £750 is not a great deal for a pro for the day (£2k is more like the rate looking at local ones), but these are barely worth £75.
    Should have asked friends to take a dozen instagrams each on their iPhones - at least they would have had character!
  15. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I had to laugh :D

These guys must have been trying really hard to produce such terrible results - they can't be serious.......
  16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I like some of the quirky ones...although they would have been better in focus:D
    Nothing wrong with something a bit different... but so different:eek:
  17. wave

wave Well-Known Member

I think this should be a warning it is not that easy to do a wedding and if as can been seen here it is so easy to ruin the day. I am at a loss what to say. I did a relatives wedding in january and i havent done one for many years but i checked the shots as i took them any that i had doubts about i took them again, its easy with digital. all the basics have been missed here
  18. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

This should in some way be kept as a sticky so as to show newbs telling us they just bought a DSLR and announcing they are turning into pro wedding togs. Oh, and then asking what depth of field is........
  19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I do actually struggle to see how anbody could take such bad pictures. These are the mistakes of absolute beginners, surely?
  20. LesleySM

Surely even an absolute beginner can see that something is so out of focus and blurred as that shot at the reception if they can't then someone should find their guide dog for them