1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedding Advice

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Twitol, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Twitol

Twitol New Member

Good Morning all

Im new to this forum so hello everyone and I hope this is in the right section. I was after some advice and this seemed the best place to come I imagine there is alot of experience and knowledge in these forums.

I've been partaking in amateur photography for about 4 years now only on a hobby level I have been wanting to get more into the professional side for a while but its hard fitting it in with work commitments. I've been asked to be a photographer at a wedding and while this partly fills me with fear I am also seeing it as a great opportunity. It is for a family member who has a really small budget and has briefed me along as there are pics of the family she would be happy, however I would still like to try and capture some great photos for her. The ones I see on wedding photography pages and am in awe off.

The question is I currently have a Nikon d3400 with the standard kit 18/55mm lens and also a tamron 70-300mm lens. What would be the best lens to add to my collection with this type of work in mind? If there are any wedding photographers present what kit is always in your bag when shooting weddings? Also I love reading so if anyone has any suggestions of books or videos that may help me. Im going to go ahead and scout the venues and pre plan as much as possible. The wedding is in may so lots of time. Any and all advice is welcome. :)

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Far more knowledgeable members will no doubt be along to help with your question, but for me the first things I would make sure I'd got for such an important day are: spare batteries, spare memory cards, and beg borrow or steal a 2nd Nikon camera body.

This serves two purposes, Obviously a spare if your main body packs up, and you can also mount a different lens on each body to save time and missed pictures.

cliveva likes this.
  3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Many people on here will advise you not to shoot a wedding, however if you are confident in your own ability I would suggest that you make sure you know your equipment inside out. I shot a wedding a couple of years ago and used my 16-85mm Nikkor for probably 90% of the photos. I used a Tamron 90mm macro lens for detail shots of things like the engagement ring, shoes, perfume bottle. If you are going to be shooting in low light conditions you might want to think about a flash, preferably off camera. Remember to ask the minister about when you can and can't take photos during the service, where you are permitted to position yourself and if you are allowed to use flash. Post-processing is also very important. Are you confident that you can process the photos once you have taken them?

Here are a couple of links I found useful (some more than others)

https://www.popphoto.com/how-to/201...ng-when-youre-not-wedding-photographer#page-5
    https://digital-photography-school....1-tips-for-for-amateur-wedding-photographers/

Good luck

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

All the above, especially Dangie's "spare everything" advice, and here is one tip for the groups:

explain to the participants that in any group shot about 10% of the people are blinking. The way to avoid this is to warn them that you will count down audibly "3 - 2 - 1 - fire" and that they are expected to be smiling and not blinking at the last command.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. For future reference this part of the forum is usually used for everything other than photography questions so a moderator might move it to "beginners" later in the day.

The suggestions given seem sensible to me. Your visit to the venues will give you some idea of the amount of space you will have and the kind of lighting. There are set group shots that people expect from a wedding, so the main thing is to have a plan and not to miss anything out. It is widely said that doing weddings is 90% organising people and 10% photography.

I wouldn't try to be too ambitious and creative. Make sure you know your equipment and, as said above, don't forget anything vital like memory cards and batteries. Familiarise yourself with the use of fill-in flash. I don't know Nikon but with Canon you have to be careful with auto-exposure modes and flash because the camera will aim to balance ambient with the flash and increase exposure time accordingly. When shooting groups it is better to be a little further away and use a longer focal length. If you are very close and using the lens at its widest to "get everyone in" then those at the extreme edges will look distorted. The worse pictures I ever took, with combination too-close and too wide a lens, were at a family dinner set with several groups of 8 persons around circular tables. The results were made worse by my standing and pointing the camera downward which further increased the edge distortion. Like said above about blinking, take (at least) 2 of everything, as quick as you can. At worse you'll get two of everything but expressions can change in an instant and often people react to the first exposure and the quick second gives a more natural result.

Good luck.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, I had already moved it to Help Team because that IS the correct section for photographic queries, and this is not a suitable topic for Beginners.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Tx Nick, I don't know why I said beginners instead of help. It was still in the lounge when I started typing. If I'd seen the post arrive I'd have reported it to suggest it be moved.

Benchista likes this.
  8. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Have a plan of the shots you will need. You will have to manage a crowd, so will need to be assertive, but try to use humor, to get everyone in place!
    As stated above, 2 Camera’s is a must, if one fails..........still got one!

9. Twitol

Twitol New Member

Thanks so much for the advice guys, some really helpful things in there. I do feel confident in my ability and know my equipment. Going to look to borrow a second body of somebody now you have mentioned it I always notice photographers at wedding i've attended swinging 2 camera around with different lenses. Thank you for the links to beatnick I shall be giving them a read. I think the only thing I worry about is the crowd control Its not a skill you think you will require when first start with photography and ive seen a few rowdy weddings lol. I'm sure it shouldn't be too much to handle.

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

What a modern camera allows is for you to take shots in "Bursts" three shots taken as a burst give you "Choices". Though taken only a fraction of a second apart, they will always be "Different". It even allows you to swap the inevitable blinking heads... However Groups are overrated... In the days that people actually bought prints, they were by far the worst sellers. What people do like to see is animated shots of themselves with the bride and groom. which is why the less formal modern style of wedding photography is so popular. You can't go far wrong spending much of your time "Following" the Bride and Groom. at the very least you will get shots that people want to see.

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

You might care to look at the advice on my old .com web-site about shooting weddings for friends. It predates my adoption of any digital cameras but the rest of the information is as appropriate as ever.

Cheers,

R.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Crowd control is not difficult. people at a weddings look to the "Official" Photographer to run the show so far as the "Set" shots are concerned. and for the most part do what they are told. later on the "Free for all is an opportunity to get the more interesting shots.
    For many many years I took two cameras to weddings one loaded with colour the other with black and white, But I never ones had a camera fail. Later when B/W went out of fashion, I used the two cameras for different focal lengths. However there is a major advantage to using one camera for the vast majority of the shots, and that is continuity, as the shots remain in time order on the card. as that makes selection with out any major gaps far easier.
    Some photographers, today, do very little selection and just throw the lot in.