1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website Still Has Problems

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Mark101, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Yet again this morning the home page is missing the radio buttons at the top leading to various site sections. Navigating to the other sections the header is still showing 'h' for home and 's' for search. Will this problem ever be resolved ?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Wierd one isn't it. Not sure what opening a third thread on the topic, in the AP magazine feedback, adds to the solution though.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I have had problems with the AP pages they have inevitably turned out to lie in my own browser and/or operating system. Remind us what you're using and what you've tried already?

4. PeteRob

There is code missing from the main site page in the block <nav id="navigation" role="navigation" class="row"> starting at line 207 (Safari numbering for view source) and this provides the content for the menus that go in the blue(ish) bar under the AP logo and terminating in the search box. The code for the search box is correct. It is the menu-descriptors that are missing together with their links. When this happens the only way to get off the main page to the forums, reviews, APOY etc. is to go specifically to those pages. Most people have the forums page bookmarked. I do on my iPad but on my mac I go to the main AP site. This happens randomly - sometimes the code is there and sometimes it is not. The problem is long standing but the frequency with which it occurs is increasing.

5. Andrew Flannigan

That's interesting. I use Safari 12.0.1 on OS-X 10.13.6 and I've not yet seen the problem. What resource file is the code in?

6. PeteRob

I just right click on the main page and choose view source.

It is back now

Edit 2: with the page complete the nav code segment runs from lines 212 to 303.

7. Andrew Flannigan

I don't seem to be looking at the same code as you. Line 212 is a closing brace and 213 is the definition: "getDeclaredIdQueryString: function() {". Could you give me a string to search for (preferably something like a declaration)?

8. PeteRob

See #4 - I decided that the block named "navigation" is the key. Same version Safari, OSX 10.12.6 . They load some dynamic stuff so may be the line count changes.

I just looked again - still 212 for me. It is tab resources, all resources, pointer at the home page. I'm assuming that it is a standard page source dump. The display looks like it has debugging facilities - there are several tabs across the top of the window which splits the screen in two.

9. Andrew Flannigan

"Navigation" throws up dozens of references across all sorts of .js files. As it hasn't affected me in any way I'll abandon it. Hope you guys find a fix soon. :)

10. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Navigating this site is a real pain and has been for weeks this is the sort of view I get 50% of the time

[​IMG]Screen grab by Alf Branch, on Flickr

11. Mark101

Tell me about it... the headers are a mess in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Edge ...WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO?

12. Andrew Flannigan

I'm seeing no problems with...
    • Chrome Version 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    • Safari Version 12.0.1 (13606.2.104.1.2)
    on OS-X 10.13.6 (MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017).

Also OK with Firefox Version 63.0 (64 bit) running under Ubuntu 18.04.1 on an Acer Travelmate P257.

13. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Well I am getting pissed off with it on my laptop and desktop and if it isnt sorted soon or I dont get told what I am doing wrong I am just quitting the forum. It just took me about 3 attempts to log in and to log in and post this.

14. Mark101

Mine is the same version of Chrome, but it has problems along with any browser I care to run. I've even changed the screen resolutions to no avail. COME ON WEBMASTERS, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM ?????????????????????

15. PeteRob

It must be some setting in your browser. If it was the website then everyone would have the problem.

As a test I just logged on perfectly well from the PC I use for work using internet explorer, Chrome and Firefox.

Normally I use Safari on my mac and iPad.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Also it could be the router settings. I've seen similar symptoms when using an especially slow connection. I traced one instance to a callback function that had a timer. The callback timed out so only the skeleton of the page was shown. Aggressive security can have a similar effect if it sees something being read that it doesn't like.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, only time I've seen anything like that was with an almost non-existent internet connection.

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I use the website from IE and Firefox. Sometimes the radio buttons are present and sometimes not. I do not change anything at my end,
    I see this when my internet connection is running well and not so well. My connection recently has normally been in the region of 100Mbps. Rarely below 50Mbps unless there is a very rare total failure. I am satisfied that the problem is with the AP site.

I don't care. If the buttons are not present then I ammend the AP address by adding "/forums".
    I think that some people are making a lot of fuss about now't.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  19. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Nope, trust me, it's the website.

upload_2018-11-23_18-38-38.png

That's my screen 30 seconds ago. I don't know who's been working on the website recently, but they've been making (and not testing very well) lots of small changes, and it's absolutely the fault of the website and not the local browsers.

Yes, it's affected by a combination of user behaviour and browser setup, but it's not something weird or odd with browsers or behaviour, it's something broken on the website end I'm afraid.

20. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

People who never get the issue and people who don't get the issue trying once aren't the people we need to worry about - this is a real issue, affecting multiple people, and it's not far off killing the forum entirely in my view. Saying 'it works for me' isn't going to solve it.